* getting rid of gethostby* calls
@ 2007-10-19  1:05 Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-10-19  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Ulrich Drepper is trying to get rid of all the gethostby* calls in
Fedora.
emacs has been given as an example of program that uses the gethostby*
functions.

An example on how to use getaddrinfo instead of gethostby* is here:

http://people.redhat.com/drepper/userapi-ipv6.html

There are just a few instances of gethostby* in the emacs tree, can
someone that understands that code please take a look?

Thanks

* Re: getting rid of gethostby* calls
@ 2007-10-19  9:14 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2007-10-19  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:

> There are just a few instances of gethostby* in the emacs tree, can
> someone that understands that code please take a look?

Emacs itself already uses them only as a fallback, so no changes should
be needed.  The only place left is in lib-src/pop.c.

Andreas.

* Re: getting rid of gethostby* calls
@ 2007-11-18 17:35   ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2007-11-18 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Dan Nicolaescu, emacs-devel

Andreas Schwab skrev:
> Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:
>
>> There are just a few instances of gethostby* in the emacs tree, can
>> someone that understands that code please take a look?
>
> Emacs itself already uses them only as a fallback, so no changes should
> be needed.  The only place left is in lib-src/pop.c.

As emacs already uses getaddrinfo in process.c, I added getaddrinfo to pop.c
and sysdep.c as well.

	Jan D.

* Re: getting rid of gethostby* calls
@ 2007-11-19 12:25     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-11-19 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: schwab, dann, emacs-devel

    As emacs already uses getaddrinfo in process.c, I added getaddrinfo to pop.c
    and sysdep.c as well.

Thank you.