* Activating input method globally
@ 2007-11-03 19:10 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-11-03 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

the manual says that `set-input-method' sets the input method buffer
locally:

,----[ (info "(emacs)Select Input Method") ]
|    To choose an input method for the current buffer, use `C-x <RET>
| C-\' (`set-input-method').
`----

It doesn't mention how to set it globally (AFAICS).  What is the
recommended way to achieve this?  I think this should be documented.

The best I could think about was adding `set-input-method' to
`text-mode-hook':

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook
	  (lambda () (set-input-method "german-prefix")))

Background: This question popped up several times in German speaking
Emacs/Gnus-related newsgroups.  Some users use an American keyboard
layout, but want to type German non-ascii characters (cf. `M-x
describe-input-method RET german-...').

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Activating input method globally
@ 2007-11-06  1:15 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2007-11-06  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <v9d4urtab2.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>, Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:

> Hi,
> the manual says that `set-input-method' sets the input method buffer
> locally:

> ,----[ (info "(emacs)Select Input Method") ]
> |    To choose an input method for the current buffer, use `C-x <RET>
> | C-\' (`set-input-method').
> `----

> It doesn't mention how to set it globally (AFAICS).  What is the
> recommended way to achieve this? I think this should be documented.

Currently we don't have such a facility.

> The best I could think about was adding `set-input-method' to
> `text-mode-hook':

> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook
> 	  (lambda () (set-input-method "german-prefix")))

Yes, if text mode is the only mode you want to activate an
input method automatically.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: Activating input method globally
@ 2007-11-06  8:37   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-11-06  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: Reiner.Steib, emacs-devel

    > It doesn't mention how to set it globally (AFAICS).  What is the
    > recommended way to achieve this? I think this should be documented.

    Currently we don't have such a facility.

Should we have one?
I think it is a natural thing to expect.

* Re: Activating input method globally
@ 2007-11-06 11:20     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2007-11-06 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Reiner.Steib, emacs-devel

In article <E1IpJwa-0002NB-9p@fencepost.gnu.org>, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> It doesn't mention how to set it globally (AFAICS).  What is the
> recommended way to achieve this? I think this should be documented.

>     Currently we don't have such a facility.

> Should we have one?
> I think it is a natural thing to expect.

Perhaps for Latin users.  For us Japanese (and perhaps for
any non-Latin users), it's not that useful because we have
to type Latin characters too here and there.

Anyway, I'll implement it.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: Activating input method globally
@ 2007-11-06 16:23     ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2007-11-06 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Kenichi Handa, Reiner.Steib, emacs-devel

>    > It doesn't mention how to set it globally (AFAICS).  What is the
>    > recommended way to achieve this? I think this should be documented.
>
>    Currently we don't have such a facility.
>
> Should we have one?
> I think it is a natural thing to expect.

Just a couple of days ago I started playing with input methods and it
was like a new world! I live in Sweden and have a Swedish keyboard but
switched to use English layout some months ago. I mostly write in
English but now and then I need my Swedish characters when chatting or
writing some e-mail, so I switched back and forth between the layouts.
When I found this cool input method thing, there is no longer a need
for that as I can compose my Swedish characters in Emacs. Groovy! But,
as the parent poster found out, I have to switch input method in each
buffer I want it. Being able to change it globally would be useful.

* Re: Activating input method globally
@ 2007-11-06 21:35   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-11-06 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, Nov 06 2007, Kenichi Handa wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook
>> 	  (lambda () (set-input-method "german-prefix")))
>
> Yes, if text mode is the only mode you want to activate an
> input method automatically.

I saw that you added this to the manual.  Thanks.  Shouldn't it be
included in Emacs 22 as well?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,