* W3 and CSS measurements of "em"
@ 2007-03-09 14:13 T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2007-03-09 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

This is possibly due to changes in Emacs 22 in the last few
months --- I'm not the best to debug this since it took me a few
months to even notice:-)

W3 implements CSS (Cascading Style Sheets ) and CSS can specify
things like margins in "em" units i.e. width of an 'm'.

The default CSS style file that comes with w3 sets left-margin
for bullets to 5em ---
I'm assuming that that did the right thing at some point.
However under emacs 22 CVS, this ends up having bulleted items
indented way far to the right --- approx 50 spaces.

I suspect that there is a bug in the W3 code that computes how
many spaces an 'm' should take -- could well do with this being
older code that incorrectly uses ints instead of chars perhaps.

Anyway, I'm sending this so it makes it into the archives and
hopefully serves to save the next person who hits the problem
some time. In my own environment I've since set left-margin for
bullets to 0.1 (absolute units instead of char width).

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: W3 and CSS measurements of "em"
@ 2007-03-10  2:28 ` Magnus Henoch
From: Magnus Henoch @ 2007-03-10  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net> writes:

> This is possibly due to changes in Emacs 22 in the last few
> months --- I'm not the best to debug this since it took me a few
> months to even notice:-)

A change in W3 on 15th of December last year, actually.  I've posted
about this to the w3-dev list, to find out whether that change should
be reverted.

You could use revision 1.8 of w3/lisp/css.el, and either restart Emacs
or evaluate (w3-find-default-stylesheets).

Magnus

* Emacs CVS: url-basepath replaced by url-file-directory /nondirecotry
@ 2007-10-31  1:55   ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2007-10-31  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mange; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Magnus,

A recent change in Emacs CVS has resulted in function
url-basepath going away and being replaced by url-file-directory
and url-file-nondirectory.

The change to W3 may be non-trivial in places, because
url-basepath took an optional second arg that it used as an
indicator for computing the filepath.

Think you could look at this as the present maintainer of W3? A
quick and dirty global replace at my end for url-basepath with
url-file-directory failed badly, and for now, I've ended up
resurrecting the old url-basepath in my w3 environment.

    Magnus> "T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net> writes:
    >> This is possibly due to changes in Emacs 22 in the last
    >> few months --- I'm not the best to debug this since it
    >> took me a few months to even notice:-)
    Magnus>
    Magnus> A change in W3 on 15th of December last year,
    Magnus> actually.  I've posted about this to the w3-dev list,
    Magnus> to find out whether that change should be reverted.
    Magnus>
    Magnus> You could use revision 1.8 of w3/lisp/css.el, and
    Magnus> either restart Emacs or evaluate
    Magnus> (w3-find-default-stylesheets).
    Magnus>
    Magnus> Magnus

Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: Emacs CVS: url-basepath replaced by url-file-directory /nondirecotry
@ 2007-11-02 15:02     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-11-02 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: mange, emacs-devel

    A recent change in Emacs CVS has resulted in function
    url-basepath going away and being replaced by url-file-directory
    and url-file-nondirectory.

I made this change for two reasons:

1. The old function selected between two different operations, each
giving the information that the other did not, so each caller wanted
one or the other.  They are similar to file-name-directory and
file-name-nondirectory.

2. The name was bad, since it uses "path" for a file name.

* Re: Emacs CVS: url-basepath replaced by url-file-directory /nondirecotry
@ 2007-11-15 17:10     ` Magnus Henoch
From: Magnus Henoch @ 2007-11-15 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net> writes:

> A recent change in Emacs CVS has resulted in function
> url-basepath going away and being replaced by url-file-directory
> and url-file-nondirectory.
>
> The change to W3 may be non-trivial in places, because
> url-basepath took an optional second arg that it used as an
> indicator for computing the filepath.
>
> Think you could look at this as the present maintainer of W3? A
> quick and dirty global replace at my end for url-basepath with
> url-file-directory failed badly, and for now, I've ended up
> resurrecting the old url-basepath in my w3 environment.

Sorry about the late response... I've now fixed w3 in CVS.

Magnus