* finish version test cleanup: Lucid
@ 2007-10-28 17:47 Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-10-28 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Most string version tests have been replaced with feature tests.
These are the remaining ones:

./progmodes/cperl-mode.el:81:      (defconst cperl-xemacs-p (string-match "XEmacs\\|Lucid" emacs-version))
./progmodes/cperl-mode.el:154:(defconst cperl-xemacs-p (string-match "XEmacs\\|Lucid" emacs-version))
./ielm.el:172:  (if (string-match "Lucid" emacs-version)
./ps-print.el:1467: ((string-match "Lucid" emacs-version)
./ps-print.el:1469: ((string-match "Epoch" emacs-version)
./calc/calc.el:825:(defvar calc-emacs-type-lucid (not (not (string-match "Lucid" emacs-version))))
./emulation/tpu-mapper.el:83:(defconst tpu-lucid-emacs19-p (string-match "Lucid" emacs-version)

Can these tests be replaced with feature tests?

./ldefs-boot.el:8849: (defmacro ediff-cond-compile-for-xemacs-or-emacs (xemacs-form emacs-form) (if (string-match "XEmacs" emacs-version) xemacs-form emacs-form))

-- This one just means that ldefs-boot.el needs to be regenerated, can
   someone please do that? (I am not sure if there's any subtlety
   involved, so I'd rather not do it)

* Re: finish version test cleanup: Lucid
@ 2007-10-28 20:11 ` Vinicius Jose Latorre
From: Vinicius Jose Latorre @ 2007-10-28 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
> Most string version tests have been replaced with feature tests.
> These are the remaining ones:
>
> ./progmodes/cperl-mode.el:81:      (defconst cperl-xemacs-p (string-match "XEmacs\\|Lucid" emacs-version))
> ./progmodes/cperl-mode.el:154:(defconst cperl-xemacs-p (string-match "XEmacs\\|Lucid" emacs-version))
> ./ielm.el:172:  (if (string-match "Lucid" emacs-version)
> ./ps-print.el:1467: ((string-match "Lucid" emacs-version)
> ./ps-print.el:1469: ((string-match "Epoch" emacs-version)
> ./calc/calc.el:825:(defvar calc-emacs-type-lucid (not (not (string-match "Lucid" emacs-version))))
> ./emulation/tpu-mapper.el:83:(defconst tpu-lucid-emacs19-p (string-match "Lucid" emacs-version)
>
> Can these tests be replaced with feature tests?

AFAIK, there isn't any feature test for Lucid and Epoch.

Can these tests be eliminated?

* Re: finish version test cleanup: Lucid
@ 2007-10-29  0:10   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-10-29  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinicius Jose Latorre; +Cc: Dan Nicolaescu, emacs-devel

Vinicius Jose Latorre wrote:

> Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
>> Most string version tests have been replaced with feature tests.
>> These are the remaining ones:
>>
>> ./progmodes/cperl-mode.el:81:      (defconst cperl-xemacs-p (string-match "XEmacs\\|Lucid" emacs-version))
>> ./progmodes/cperl-mode.el:154:(defconst cperl-xemacs-p (string-match "XEmacs\\|Lucid" emacs-version))

Could be deleted, since there is a separate stand-alone cperl-mode
that people on other platforms can use. (At the cost of more difference
between the Emacs and standalone version.)

>> ./ielm.el:172:  (if (string-match "Lucid" emacs-version)

Could just delete Lucid code.

>> ./ps-print.el:1467: ((string-match "Lucid" emacs-version)
>> ./ps-print.el:1469: ((string-match "Epoch" emacs-version)

Could just be deleted. All they do is refuse to support said
platforms. The rest of Emacs doesn't bother with such checks.

(I imagine ps-print is distributed with all current emacs varieties, so
the number of people downloading standalone versions will be very
small. So you could probably delete _all_ the version-checking code at
the start.)

>> ./calc/calc.el:825:(defvar calc-emacs-type-lucid (not (not (string-match "Lucid" emacs-version))))

Don't know.

>> ./emulation/tpu-mapper.el:83:(defconst tpu-lucid-emacs19-p (string-match "Lucid" emacs-version)

Could just delete all lucid Emacs 19 support from this file.

* Re: finish version test cleanup: Lucid
@ 2007-10-29  0:34     ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2007-10-29  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: jay.p.belanger

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:
>>> ./calc/calc.el:825:(defvar calc-emacs-type-lucid (not (not (string-match "Lucid" emacs-version))))
>
> Don't know.

No XEmacs support has been removed from Emacs's Calc, but none has been
added as new features have been added, so I don't know if the current
version will work with XEmacs.  XEmacs has it's own version of Calc,
although I don't think it has been updated for a while.

Jay

* Re: finish version test cleanup: Lucid
@ 2007-10-29  0:45       ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-10-29  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jay.p.belanger; +Cc: emacs-devel

Jay Belanger <jay.p.belanger@gmail.com> writes:

  > > Don't know.
  >
  > No XEmacs support has been removed from Emacs's Calc, but none has been
  > added as new features have been added, so I don't know if the current
  > version will work with XEmacs.  XEmacs has it's own version of Calc,
  > although I don't think it has been updated for a while.

That is fine.
Is the goal of that code to test if calc is running on XEmacs?
If yes, then replacing calc-emacs-type-lucid with (featurep 'xemacs) is
better. The featurep test can be completely optimized away at compile
time, and it is as readable an a tiny bit shorter. Doing that will
make the byte compiler not to warn about missing XEmacs functions.

* Re: finish version test cleanup: Lucid
@ 2007-10-29  5:35         ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2007-10-29  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: jay.p.belanger

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:
>   > No XEmacs support has been removed from Emacs's Calc, but none has been
>   > added as new features have been added, so I don't know if the current
>   > version will work with XEmacs.  XEmacs has it's own version of Calc,
>   > although I don't think it has been updated for a while.
>
> That is fine.
> Is the goal of that code to test if calc is running on XEmacs?

Yes.

> If yes, then replacing calc-emacs-type-lucid with (featurep 'xemacs) is
> better. The featurep test can be completely optimized away at compile
> time, and it is as readable an a tiny bit shorter. Doing that will
> make the byte compiler not to warn about missing XEmacs functions.

The other option would just be to remove Lucid support altogether.

Jay

* Re: finish version test cleanup: Lucid
@ 2007-10-29  8:59           ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-10-29  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jay.p.belanger; +Cc: emacs-devel

Jay Belanger <jay.p.belanger@gmail.com> writes:

> Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:
>
>> If yes, then replacing calc-emacs-type-lucid with (featurep
>> 'xemacs) is better. The featurep test can be completely optimized
>> away at compile time, and it is as readable an a tiny bit
>> shorter. Doing that will make the byte compiler not to warn about
>> missing XEmacs functions.
>
> The other option would just be to remove Lucid support altogether.

Before doing that, I would probably ask on the XEmacs developer list
whether somebody wants to do the basic work of keeping our CVS copy
working under XEmacs.  As long as this does not affect the code much,
it should be doable.

In particular since the calc code base is really ancient and from the
time before the Lucid fork.  At some point of time, one should think
about adding menus, toolbar buttons and the like.  Then XEmacs
compatibility might become more of an issue, and would require
somewhat more outside work.

* Re: finish version test cleanup: Lucid
@ 2007-10-29  9:21 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-10-29  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Epoch was from around 1992.  I think you should delete all Epoch
tests.

"Lucid" was the old name of XEmacs.  You can replace
any tests for "Lucid" with modern XEmacs tests.

* Re: finish version test cleanup: Lucid
@ 2007-10-29 12:25             ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2007-10-29 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: jay.p.belanger

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>> The other option would just be to remove Lucid support altogether.
>
> Before doing that, I would probably ask on the XEmacs developer list
> whether somebody wants to do the basic work of keeping our CVS copy
> working under XEmacs.

At this point, it's probably be more like *getting* our CVS copy
working under XEmacs.  I'll send an email when I get a chance.

> In particular since the calc code base is really ancient and from the
> time before the Lucid fork.  At some point of time, one should think
> about adding menus, toolbar buttons and the like.  Then XEmacs
> compatibility might become more of an issue, and would require
> somewhat more outside work.

There will be a menu soon, but I don't think that will be an issue,
since it can just be ignored under XEmacs.

Jay

* Re: finish version test cleanup: Lucid
@ 2007-10-29 17:30   ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-10-29 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

  > Epoch was from around 1992.  I think you should delete all Epoch
  > tests.
  >
  > "Lucid" was the old name of XEmacs.  You can replace
  > any tests for "Lucid" with modern XEmacs tests.

Done.