* doc ChangeLogs
@ 2007-09-15 22:34 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-09-15 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I created new ChangeLogs in doc/man and doc/misc when these
directories were made. Now I'm thinking these, together with the one
in doc/misc, should be combined into a single doc/ChangeLog.
lispintro and lispref would still have separate logs. Opinions?

* Re: doc ChangeLogs
@ 2007-09-16  4:03 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-09-16  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 18:34:09 -0400
>
> I created new ChangeLogs in doc/man and doc/misc when these
> directories were made. Now I'm thinking these, together with the one
> in doc/misc, should be combined into a single doc/ChangeLog.
> lispintro and lispref would still have separate logs. Opinions?

I'm for it, since that way we can keep the history intact in the
respective ChangeLog files.

* Re: doc ChangeLogs
@ 2007-09-17  0:20 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-09-17  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

    I created new ChangeLogs in doc/man and doc/misc when these
    directories were made. Now I'm thinking these, together with the one
    in doc/misc, should be combined into a single doc/ChangeLog.
    lispintro and lispref would still have separate logs. Opinions?

Please keep them subdivided.  That will make them more useful.

* Re: doc ChangeLogs
@ 2007-09-17  0:39   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-09-17  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

>     I created new ChangeLogs in doc/man and doc/misc when these
>     directories were made. Now I'm thinking these, together with the one
>     in doc/misc, should be combined into a single doc/ChangeLog.
>     lispintro and lispref would still have separate logs. Opinions?
>
> Please keep them subdivided.  That will make them more useful.

Are you sure? The doc/man/ChangeLog will always be tiny, since we
almost never update the man pages. The doc/emacs and doc/misc
ChangeLogs were one file (man/ChangeLog) until the file move. To find
the history for doc/misc before the move, you have to look in
doc/emacs (since that's where man/ChangeLog ended up).

* Re: doc ChangeLogs
@ 2007-09-17 15:53     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-09-17 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

    The doc/emacs and doc/misc
    ChangeLogs were one file (man/ChangeLog) until the file move. To find
    the history for doc/misc before the move, you have to look in
    doc/emacs (since that's where man/ChangeLog ended up).

The best thing to do is split up the old change log file, so that the
history for files in the Emacs manual goes into man/ChangeLog, and the
other files go in misc/ChangeLog.

It should be possible to write a program to do that easily.