* TRIVIAL: message in minibuffer
@ 2007-09-03  5:38 dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2007-09-03  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

Hi,
 I have Emacs (HEAD) on WXP. On launching Emacs, I get the following
message in the mini buffer.

"For information about the GNU system and GNU/Linux, type C-h C-p."

Is the mention of "GNU/Linux" intentional (though I am on M$)?. IMHO,
we could mention FSF instead so that it has a wider coverage.

-dky

--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Contents reflect my personal views only!

* Re: TRIVIAL: message in minibuffer
@ 2007-09-03  7:20 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-09-03  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhruva; +Cc: Emacs Devel

dhruva <dhruvakm@gmail.com> writes:

>  I have Emacs (HEAD) on WXP. On launching Emacs, I get the following
> message in the mini buffer.
>
> "For information about the GNU system and GNU/Linux, type C-h C-p."
>
> Is the mention of "GNU/Linux" intentional (though I am on
> M$)?. IMHO, we could mention FSF instead so that it has a wider
> coverage.

The FSF is a political organization (or whatever you want to call it)
in charge of the GNU project.  Emacs is part of the GNU project.  The
most popular and widely available GNU systems are GNU/Linux.  In
particular if you are coming from a non-UNIX background, those are
relevant keywords and information.

Typing C-c C-p takes you to general information about the GNU project,
including a short passage on the GNU/Linux aspect.

The FSF's views, activities and goals comprise more than just the GNU
project but the focus of the information is all about GNU.

So I think that this is spot on, and being on MS Windows does not
really make a difference.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: TRIVIAL: message in minibuffer
@ 2007-09-03 19:14 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-09-03 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhruva; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 11:08:11 +0530
> From: dhruva <dhruvakm@gmail.com>
>
> "For information about the GNU system and GNU/Linux, type C-h C-p."
>
> Is the mention of "GNU/Linux" intentional (though I am on M$)?

Yes.

* Re: TRIVIAL: message in minibuffer
@ 2007-09-04  0:57 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-09-04  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhruva; +Cc: emacs-devel

     I have Emacs (HEAD) on WXP. On launching Emacs, I get the following
    message in the mini buffer.

    "For information about the GNU system and GNU/Linux, type C-h C-p."

    Is the mention of "GNU/Linux" intentional (though I am on M$)?.

Of course!  We want to inform people about GNU and GNU/Linux.  GNU
Emacs is part of GNU, and that is true even if you run it on some
other system.

     IMHO,
    we could mention FSF instead so that it has a wider coverage.

We want people to know about the GNU system even if they are not using
it.

* Re: TRIVIAL: message in minibuffer
@ 2007-09-04 12:13   ` Johannes Weiner
From: Johannes Weiner @ 2007-09-04 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)