* 23.0.50; log-view-current-file error
@ 2007-09-02  2:14 Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-02  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

To reproduce:
  1. open a file under svn
  2. C-x v l
  3. d

You will see the error:

log-view-current-file: Search failed: "^\\(?:Working file:
\\(?1:.+\\)\\|\\(?:SCCS/s\\.\\|Changes to \\)\\(?1:.+\\):\\)"

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/usr/local/packages/emacs/share/emacs/23.0.50/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.14, multi-tty)
 of 2007-09-01 on Fedora
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/usr/local/packages/emacs' '--with-kerberos5' '--enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp' '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars' '--with-xft' '--enable-font-backend' '--with-x-toolkit=yes''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-spelling-mode: t
  erc-page-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-smiley-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  erc-scrolltobottom-mode: t
  dired-omit-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  minibuffer-indicate-depth-mode: t
  partial-completion-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
O D ESC O D ESC O D ESC O D ESC O D ESC O D ESC O D
ESC O D ESC O D ESC O D ESC O D ESC O D ESC O D ESC
O D ESC O D ESC O D ESC O D ESC O D ESC O D ESC O D
ESC O A ESC O D ESC O B C-x b RET C-x b l o RET ESC
O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A
ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC
O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A
ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC
O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A
ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC
O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A
ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A C-x b g r DEL
DEL i RET C-x v l ESC O B ESC x t d o e TAB RET d ESC
x ESC O A RET C-x 0 C-h e ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC
O B ESC O B ESC O B C-@ ESC O B ESC O B ESC w ESC x
r e p o r TAB b TAB RET

Recent messages:
"
Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *vc-change-log*>
Auto-saving...done
Running svn log -rHEAD:0 init in the background... done
Debug on Error enabled globally
log-view-current-file: Search failed: "^\\(?:Working file: \\(?1:.+\\)\\|\\(?:SCCS/s\\.\\|Changes to \\)\\(?1:.+\\):\\)
"
Debug on Error disabled globally
Mark set

* Re: 23.0.50; log-view-current-file error
@ 2007-09-02  3:09 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-09-02  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

Leo wrote:

>   1. open a file under svn
>   2. C-x v l
>   3. d
>
> You will see the error:
>
> log-view-current-file: Search failed: "^\\(?:Working file:
> \\(?1:.+\\)\\|\\(?:SCCS/s\\.\\|Changes to \\)\\(?1:.+\\):\\)"

Actually as of a little while ago you see a different error. :)

This was reported before. It's caused by ESR's VC changes. It's
trivial to modify the regexp to match the new format (which now says
"file(s)"), but less trivial to make it actually do the right thing if
there are multiple files there (perhaps there can't be at present, I
don't know).

* Re: 23.0.50; log-view-current-file error
@ 2007-09-02  9:33   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-02  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

On 2007-09-02 04:09 +0100, Glenn Morris wrote:
> Actually as of a little while ago you see a different error. :)
>
> This was reported before. It's caused by ESR's VC changes. It's
> trivial to modify the regexp to match the new format (which now says
> "file(s)"), but less trivial to make it actually do the right thing if
> there are multiple files there (perhaps there can't be at present, I
> don't know).

I am glad that you are aware of this bug ;)

I learned from Mwolson that dvc is soon to be merged into Emacs, which
means Emacs will have vc to deal with file-based version control and dvc
to handle distributed version control.

I wonder if this multiple files thingy might be redundant.

Just a thought.

--
Leo <sdl.web AT gmail.com>                (GPG Key: 9283AA3F)

      Gnus is one component of the Emacs operating system.

* Re: 23.0.50; log-view-current-file error
@ 2007-09-02  9:54     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-09-02  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2007-09-02 04:09 +0100, Glenn Morris wrote:
>> Actually as of a little while ago you see a different error. :)
>>
>> This was reported before. It's caused by ESR's VC changes. It's
>> trivial to modify the regexp to match the new format (which now says
>> "file(s)"), but less trivial to make it actually do the right thing if
>> there are multiple files there (perhaps there can't be at present, I
>> don't know).
>
> I am glad that you are aware of this bug ;)
>
> I learned from Mwolson that dvc is soon to be merged into Emacs, which
> means Emacs will have vc to deal with file-based version control and dvc
> to handle distributed version control.
>
> I wonder if this multiple files thingy might be redundant.
>
> Just a thought.

Another thought: with multi-tty and vc we have had two destabilizing
dumps of code without the single upstream author acting responsible
for integration and maintenance in Emacs.  multi-tty was sort of a
strategical decision.  I can't remember any discussion or rationale
for the half-finished vc.el, however.

If this trend continues, there will never be a stable merge basis for
unicode-2, let alone a stable Emacs 23 release.

* Re: 23.0.50; log-view-current-file error
@ 2007-09-03  3:04       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-09-03  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, sdl.web, emacs-devel

      I can't remember any discussion or rationale
    for the half-finished vc.el, however.

There was no discussion, and ESR installed them without asking for
permission.  That was not a good thing, indeed.

* Re: 23.0.50; log-view-current-file error
@ 2007-09-03  6:25   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-09-03  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

Glenn Morris wrote:

> trivial to modify the regexp to match the new format (which now says
> "file(s)"), but less trivial to make it actually do the right thing if
> there are multiple files there (perhaps there can't be at present, I
> don't know).

After looking at it, I don't think there can be more than one file at
present. I've installed a workaround for this case.

* Re: 23.0.50; log-view-current-file error
@ 2007-09-04  0:56     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-09-04  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, sdl.web

    After looking at it, I don't think there can be more than one file at
    present. I've installed a workaround for this case.

That seems like the right approach.

* Re: 23.0.50; log-view-current-file error
@ 2007-09-04 23:52     ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-09-04 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

  > On 2007-09-02 04:09 +0100, Glenn Morris wrote:
  > > Actually as of a little while ago you see a different error. :)
  > >
  > > This was reported before. It's caused by ESR's VC changes. It's
  > > trivial to modify the regexp to match the new format (which now says
  > > "file(s)"), but less trivial to make it actually do the right thing if
  > > there are multiple files there (perhaps there can't be at present, I
  > > don't know).
  >
  > I am glad that you are aware of this bug ;)
  >
  > I learned from Mwolson that dvc is soon to be merged into Emacs,

Was that change approved or at least discussed anywere?

  > which
  > means Emacs will have vc to deal with file-based version control and dvc
  > to handle distributed version control.

Can you please explain what do you mean by that?

@ 2007-09-05 23:07       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-05 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

On 2007-09-05 00:52 +0100, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>   > On 2007-09-02 04:09 +0100, Glenn Morris wrote:
>   > > Actually as of a little while ago you see a different error. :)
>   > >
>   > > This was reported before. It's caused by ESR's VC changes. It's
>   > > trivial to modify the regexp to match the new format (which now says
>   > > "file(s)"), but less trivial to make it actually do the right thing if
>   > > there are multiple files there (perhaps there can't be at present, I
>   > > don't know).
>   >
>   > I am glad that you are aware of this bug ;)
>   >
>   > I learned from Mwolson that dvc is soon to be merged into Emacs,
>
> Was that change approved or at least discussed anywere?

There has no discussion in eamcs-devel yet. But I learned it from him in
#emacs irc.

>   > which
>   > means Emacs will have vc to deal with file-based version control and dvc
>   > to handle distributed version control.
>
> Can you please explain what do you mean by that?

Maybe someone else can explain this better. My feeling is that it is
only suitable for committing changes that are made within a single
file. DVC is superior in design.

@ 2007-09-06  5:29         ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-09-06  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-devel

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

  > On 2007-09-05 00:52 +0100, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
  > > Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
  > >
  > >   > On 2007-09-02 04:09 +0100, Glenn Morris wrote:
  > >   > > Actually as of a little while ago you see a different error. :)
  > >   > >
  > >   > > This was reported before. It's caused by ESR's VC changes. It's
  > >   > > trivial to modify the regexp to match the new format (which now says
  > >   > > "file(s)"), but less trivial to make it actually do the right thing if
  > >   > > there are multiple files there (perhaps there can't be at present, I
  > >   > > don't know).
  > >   >
  > >   > I am glad that you are aware of this bug ;)
  > >   >
  > >   > I learned from Mwolson that dvc is soon to be merged into Emacs,
  > >
  > > Was that change approved or at least discussed anywere?
  >
  > There has no discussion in eamcs-devel yet. But I learned it from him in
  > #emacs irc.
  >

  > >   > which
  > >   > means Emacs will have vc to deal with file-based version control and dvc
  > >   > to handle distributed version control.
  > >
  > > Can you please explain what do you mean by that?
  >
  > Maybe someone else can explain this better. My feeling is that it is
  > only suitable for committing changes that are made within a single
  > file.

That is not the case anymore, VC can perform operations on multiple
file (the bug that started this thread is a consequence of adding that
feature).

  > DVC is superior in design.

It would be interesting to find out more about that...

* Re: 23.0.50; log-view-current-file error
@ 2007-09-06  7:32           ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-06  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2007-09-06 06:29 +0100, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
>   > DVC is superior in design.
>
> It would be interesting to find out more about that...

You can find out more at the following email list
dvc-dev@gna.org

or

gmane.emacs.dvc.devel

Cheers,
--

@ 2007-09-06 14:26             ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-09-06 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-devel

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

  > On 2007-09-06 06:29 +0100, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
  > >   > DVC is superior in design.
  > >
  > > It would be interesting to find out more about that...
  >
  > You can find out more at the following email list
  > dvc-dev@gna.org
  >
  > or
  >
  > gmane.emacs.dvc.devel

Given that you made statements about the DVC design superiority, why
don't you present that here instead of having everyone looking for
clues on a mailing list? This should help in the future if DVC is
proposed for inclusion in emacs.

* Re: 23.0.50; log-view-current-file error
@ 2007-09-08 13:09               ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-08 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2007-09-06 15:26 +0100, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
>   > > It would be interesting to find out more about that...
>   >
>   > You can find out more at the following email list
>   > dvc-dev@gna.org
>   >
>   > or
>   >
>   > gmane.emacs.dvc.devel
>
> Given that you made statements about the DVC design superiority, why
> don't you present that here instead of having everyone looking for
> clues on a mailing list? This should help in the future if DVC is
> proposed for inclusion in emacs.

I haven't used dvc yet. I want to use it when it gets into
emacs. However I do believe it is superior.

--
Leo <sdl.web AT gmail.com>
(GPG Key: 9283AA3F)

                "(require 'cl) considered harmful" considered harmful
              http://dto.freeshell.org/blog/blog-2007-09-07-2323.html