* Re: 22.1.50; Augmenting Emacs Keybindings To Match Included Packages?
       [not found] <20070828032537.475AB12A4071@localhost>
@ 2007-08-29  9:49 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2007-08-29  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

> Also, I've long bound   M-r to replace-string
> but looking in the info manual, I see that Emacs does not bind
> replace-string to any key by default -- which I find somewhat
> surprizing.

I have added that binding as well, although I have no strong opinion
about it being included in Emacs by default or not.

* Re: 22.1.50; Augmenting Emacs Keybindings To Match Included Packages?
@ 2007-08-30  7:06   ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-08-30  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathias Dahl; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, raman

"Mathias Dahl" <mathias.dahl@gmail.com> writes:

>> Also, I've long bound   M-r to replace-string
>> but looking in the info manual, I see that Emacs does not bind
>> replace-string to any key by default -- which I find somewhat
>> surprizing.
>
> I have added that binding as well, although I have no strong opinion
> about it being included in Emacs by default or not.

The default binding for M-r (move-to-window-line) is also quite
helpful, I'm using it not too infrequently to speed searches and
cursor movements in that I'm pre-position the cursor as near to the
goal as possible (window beginning M-0 M-r, window end M-- M-r).  I'm
even thinking it makes sense for the pinpointing purpose to have
something like a middle-of-line-cursor-positioning key-binding.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* RE: 22.1.50; Augmenting Emacs Keybindings To Match Included Packages?
@ 2007-08-30 15:03     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-08-30 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

> >> Also, I've long bound   M-r to replace-string
>
> The default binding for M-r (move-to-window-line) is also quite
> helpful

The usefulness of a key sequence is one consideration. Other possible
considerations include the difficulty of effecting it (on common keyboards)
and whether or not you can auto-repeat it by holding it pressed.

It seems a shame to spend (waste) a (typically) repeatable key such as `M-r'
on a command such as `move-to-window-line' or `replace-string' that cannot
take advantage of holding the key (chord) down to repeat the command. Not a
big deal, admittedly, but something else to perhaps keep in mind.

Short key sequences are relatively scarce. In general, it's better to use a
key that cannot repeat, such as `C-x <whatever>' for a command that
typically will not be repeated. There are exceptions, of course, including
quick keys that you want to be able to use often.

* Re: 22.1.50; Augmenting Emacs Keybindings To Match Included Packages?
@ 2007-08-30 21:47       ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-08-30 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

>> The default binding for M-r (move-to-window-line) is also quite
>> helpful
>
> The usefulness of a key sequence is one consideration. Other possible

Well, I actually meant the help fullness of the command itself and
that users are already used to M-r.  It would be interesting to know
when this key combination was introduced.

> considerations include the difficulty of effecting it (on common keyboards)
> and whether or not you can auto-repeat it by holding it pressed.

True, that's a point.

> It seems a shame to spend (waste) a (typically) repeatable key such as `M-r'
> on a command such as `move-to-window-line' or `replace-string' that cannot
> take advantage of holding the key (chord) down to repeat the command. Not a
> big deal, admittedly, but something else to perhaps keep in mind.

Not necessarily at all circumstances.  Some more commands could be as
intelligent/subservient as C-x zzzzzz (just repeating the last char
for repetition) C-x ^ or C-x comes to mind.

> Short key sequences are relatively scarce. In general, it's better to use a
> key that cannot repeat, such as `C-x <whatever>' for a command that
> typically will not be repeated. There are exceptions, of course, including
> quick keys that you want to be able to use often.

Admitted, I'm not using M-r as often as C-s or M-f for example but in
the process of positioning the cursor as near as possible to a visual
target within the window (my use of M-r) one is impatient and happy to
use short key sequences or might otherwise succumb to the mouse.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: 22.1.50; Augmenting Emacs Keybindings To Match Included Packages?
@ 2007-08-31  1:36       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2007-08-31  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> It seems a shame to spend (waste) a (typically) repeatable key such as `M-r'
> on a command such as `move-to-window-line' or `replace-string' that cannot
> take advantage of holding the key (chord) down to repeat the command. Not a
> big deal, admittedly, but something else to perhaps keep in mind.
>
> Short key sequences are relatively scarce. In general, it's better to use a
> key that cannot repeat, such as `C-x <whatever>' for a command that
> typically will not be repeated. There are exceptions, of course, including
> quick keys that you want to be able to use often.

I agree.

In the case of replace-string, BTW, it's really easy to just use the
existing binding for `query-replace', and hit `!' to avoid the querying.
I think for typical interactive use, that's good enough that a dedicated
binding for replace-string isn't needed.

-Miles

* Re: 22.1.50; Augmenting Emacs Keybindings To Match Included Packages?
@ 2007-08-31  7:36     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-08-31  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dieter Wilhelm; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, raman, mathias.dahl

    The default binding for M-r (move-to-window-line) is also quite
    helpful,

I am rather reluctant to change it, but if someone makes a complete proposal,
I won't reject it without considering it.

* Re: 22.1.50; Augmenting Emacs Keybindings To Match Included Packages?
@ 2007-09-01  4:21       ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2007-09-01  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: dieter, emacs-pretest-bug, raman, mathias.dahl

Personally I'm not all that passionate about changing emacs'
default because I know how to fix it for myself.

However, speaking from the viewpoint of Emacspeak users, many of
whom  come to Emacs purely because Emacspeak is their Linux
access solution, it would be nice to have replace-string bound to
some key --- I care not what.

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: 22.1.50; Augmenting Emacs Keybindings To Match Included Packages?
@ 2007-09-01 10:14         ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-09-01 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, rms, mathias.dahl

"T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net> writes:

> However, speaking from the viewpoint of Emacspeak users, many of
> whom  come to Emacs purely because Emacspeak is their Linux
> access solution, it would be nice to have replace-string bound to
> some key --- I care not what.

I could imagine that you need it so that you can change repetitive
strings like "Richard>", in the paragraph after the next, immediately
in one go, which you would otherwise have to hear at any new line?

Wouldn't it be helpful to have also some sort of interactivity as in
isearch-forward for replace-string like catching the string(s) before
point (maybe bounded by the word boundary "\<")?

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany