* modification hooks called only once...
@ 2007-08-17  4:50 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-08-17  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Who wrote this in FOR-RELEASE?

    Here we list small fixes that arrived too late for Emacs 22.2, but
    that should be installed on the release branch after 22.2 is released.

    ** bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se, 1 Aug: n_schumacher@web.de: modification hooks called only once in
    Fix is on the trunk: 2007-08-13 change to insdel.c by Stefan Monnier.
    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-08/msg00457.html

I am not convinced.  Would someone like to argue for this decision?

* Re: modification hooks called only once...
@ 2007-08-17 15:22 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2007-08-17 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Who wrote this in FOR-RELEASE?
>
>     Here we list small fixes that arrived too late for Emacs 22.2, but
>     that should be installed on the release branch after 22.2 is released.
>
>     ** bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se, 1 Aug: n_schumacher@web.de: modification hooks called only once in
>     Fix is on the trunk: 2007-08-13 change to insdel.c by Stefan Monnier.
>     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-08/msg00457.html
>
> I am not convinced.  Would someone like to argue for this decision?

What are you not convinced about: that the fix is correct, or that it
has not been put in the branch?

If it's the latter, I don't have strong opinions either way.  Stefan's
fix makes an incompatible change to the behavior of modification
hooks, albeit one that makes it behave more cleanly.  It seems
unlikely that there is existing code that assumes the old behavior,
but I don't know for sure.  One way to find out is to let it sit in
the trunk for a while to see if bugs crop up, but if you think the
risk is low, sure, let's add it to the branch now.

* Re: modification hooks called only once...
@ 2007-08-17 20:18   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-08-17 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

    >     ** bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se, 1 Aug: n_schumacher@web.de: modification hooks called only once in
    >     Fix is on the trunk: 2007-08-13 change to insdel.c by Stefan Monnier.
    >     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-08/msg00457.html
    >
    > I am not convinced.  Would someone like to argue for this decision?

    What are you not convinced about: that the fix is correct, or that it
    has not been put in the branch?

That it should not be installed now.

      One way to find out is to let it sit in
    the trunk for a while to see if bugs crop up, but if you think the
    risk is low, sure, let's add it to the branch now.

I tend to think we should add it to the branch, as it cleans up a big
mess.  But I'd like to listen to the arguments against.  I just don't
consider it decided yet.

* Re: modification hooks called only once...
@ 2007-08-20  3:46     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-08-20  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

>> Fix is on the trunk: 2007-08-13 change to insdel.c by Stefan Monnier.
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-08/msg00457.html
>> I am not convinced.  Would someone like to argue for this decision?
>     What are you not convinced about: that the fix is correct, or that it
>     has not been put in the branch?
> That it should not be installed now.

I originally installed in on the trunk only because it didn't seem
obviously safe.  But I have no objection to installing it on the 22 branch
if you think it's a good idea.