* byte-compiling compressed files
@ 2007-08-14 23:26 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-08-14 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

You can visit a compressed .el file, but you can't byte compile it.
Do people think it would be a good idea to add such a feature?

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 08:58:01 +0200
From: ESCOUFLAIRE Pierre-Louis <pierre-louis.escouflaire@eurocontrol.int>
To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Suggestion: elisp files compression

Hello,

"A picture is sometimes more valuable than 1,000 words", :) then...

The `ediff-util.el.gz' emacs byte-compilation (using the menu item in
``Emacs-Lisp") reproduces the problem and outputs the following error
message:

\f
Compiling file /home/esf/emacs-test/ediff-util.el.gz at Mon Aug 13
08:28:10 2007
ediff-util.el.gz:68:32:Error: Cannot open load file: ediff-init.el

Note that the 'ediff-init.el.gz' file is in the same directory.
Then, what I mean by transparency is that it cannot open the gzipped
file corresponding to the non-gzipped one.

A bit deeper into `ediff-util.el.gz' (line 68) shows a difference with
previous lines that use `nil` rather than `'noerror` (column 32) and the
`load` function description says:

If optional second arg NOERROR is non-nil,
report no error if FILE doesn't exist.

I am not sure to fully understand the meaning of the description (report
no error = do not report error ?) but this could be a problem from
NOERROR that should not report an error.

Thanks for your time and concern.

Regards,
Pierre-Louis ESCOUFLAIRE

Richard Stallman wrote:
>     The problem is that navigating through gzipped elisp source files is
>     transparent but byte-compiling them is not (for files with dependencies).
>
> I don't really understand what that means.  Could you explain?
> Could you state a precise test case?

____

This message and any files transmitted with it are legally privileged and intended for the sole use of the individual(s) or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply and delete the message and any attachments from your system. Any unauthorised use or disclosure of the content of this message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Nothing in this e-mail message amounts to a contractual or legal commitment on the part of EUROCONTROL, unless it is confirmed by appropriately signed hard copy.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the sender.

* Re: byte-compiling compressed files
@ 2007-08-15  7:09 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2007-08-15  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

> You can visit a compressed .el file, but you can't byte compile it.
> Do people think it would be a good idea to add such a feature?

I can see how it might be handy, but I cannot say that I would use it
much. How about other operations, like for example being able to copy
the uncompressed file to some place? An example:

C-x C-f test.el.gz RET ;; File opened and uncompressed.
M-x copy-file RET M-n ;; Doing this, test.el.gz is presented.

I could of course do C-x C-w to write the buffer contents to a new
file. Maybe there are similar scenarios?