* ChangeLog entry timestamp
@ 2007-08-03 14:22 Vinicius Jose Latorre
From: Vinicius Jose Latorre @ 2007-08-03 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I've just noticed that entries timestamp in ChangeLog (trunk and Emacs
22 branch) are unsorted, that is, there are entries as:

2007-08-03 ...
2007-08-02 ...
2007-07-31 ...   <<<
2007-08-03 ...   <<<
2007-08-01 ...
2007-07-31 ...
2007-07-29 ...
2007-07-28 ...
2007-07-30 ...   <<<
2007-07-29 ...   <<<
2007-07-28 ...
2007-07-27 ...
2007-07-26 ...
2007-07-25 ...
2007-07-24 ...
2007-07-25 ...   <<<
2007-07-24 ...
2007-07-23 ...
2007-07-20 ...   <<<
2007-07-23 ...
2007-07-22 ...
etc.

Is this a problem?  Should the entries be sorted?

Vinicius

* Re: ChangeLog entry timestamp
@ 2007-08-03 14:32 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-08-03 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinicius Jose Latorre; +Cc: emacs-devel

Vinicius Jose Latorre <viniciusjl@ig.com.br> writes:

> I've just noticed that entries timestamp in ChangeLog (trunk and Emacs
> 22 branch) are unsorted, that is, there are entries as:
>
> 2007-08-03 ...
> 2007-08-02 ...
> 2007-07-31 ...   <<<
> 2007-08-03 ...   <<<
> 2007-08-01 ...
> 2007-07-31 ...
> 2007-07-29 ...
> 2007-07-28 ...
> 2007-07-30 ...   <<<
> 2007-07-29 ...   <<<
> 2007-07-28 ...
> 2007-07-27 ...
> 2007-07-26 ...
> 2007-07-25 ...
> 2007-07-24 ...
> 2007-07-25 ...   <<<
> 2007-07-24 ...
> 2007-07-23 ...
> 2007-07-20 ...   <<<
> 2007-07-23 ...
> 2007-07-22 ...
> etc.
>

> Is this a problem?  Should the entries be sorted?

No.  The dates are when the patches have been created, the order is
according to when they have been committed.  Even if people would
always commit immediately, we would not get calendar linearity because
of differing timezones.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: ChangeLog entry timestamp
@ 2007-08-03 14:52   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-08-03 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: Vinicius Jose Latorre, emacs-devel

>> I've just noticed that entries timestamp in ChangeLog (trunk and Emacs
>> 22 branch) are unsorted, that is, there are entries as:
>>
>> 2007-08-03 ...
>> 2007-08-02 ...
>> 2007-07-31 ...   <<<
>> 2007-08-03 ...   <<<
>> 2007-08-01 ...
>> 2007-07-31 ...
>> 2007-07-29 ...
>> 2007-07-28 ...
>> 2007-07-30 ...   <<<
>> 2007-07-29 ...   <<<
>> 2007-07-28 ...
>> 2007-07-27 ...
>> 2007-07-26 ...
>> 2007-07-25 ...
>> 2007-07-24 ...
>> 2007-07-25 ...   <<<
>> 2007-07-24 ...
>> 2007-07-23 ...
>> 2007-07-20 ...   <<<
>> 2007-07-23 ...
>> 2007-07-22 ...
>> etc.
>>
>> Is this a problem?  Should the entries be sorted?

> No.  The dates are when the patches have been created, the order is
> according to when they have been committed.

Actually, the date should be the date it was committed, so it should
be sorted.  Not sure about what should happen in case of merges, tho.

> Even if people would always commit immediately, we would not get calendar
> linearity because of differing timezones.

We've switched to UTC times some months (year?) ago, so this shouldn't be an
issue any more.

* Re: ChangeLog entry timestamp
@ 2007-08-03 14:54     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-08-03 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Vinicius Jose Latorre, emacs-devel

> Actually, the date should be the date it was committed, so it should
> be sorted.

Wishful thinking.  Sorting the entries without sorting the
corresponding commits is going to make an even greater mess.

> Not sure about what should happen in case of merges, tho.
>
>> Even if people would always commit immediately, we would not get calendar
>> linearity because of differing timezones.
>
> We've switched to UTC times some months (year?) ago, so this
> shouldn't be an issue any more.

Huh?  Everybody creates his ChangeLog entry on his own.  And not
everybody's computer runs on UTC.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: ChangeLog entry timestamp
@ 2007-08-03 15:47       ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2007-08-03 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: Vinicius Jose Latorre, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Huh?  Everybody creates his ChangeLog entry on his own.  And not
> everybody's computer runs on UTC.

;; Local Variables:
;; coding: iso-2022-7bit
;; add-log-time-zone-rule: t
;; End:

t means UTC.

Andreas.

* Re: ChangeLog entry timestamp
@ 2007-08-03 15:51     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2007-08-03 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Vinicius Jose Latorre, emacs-devel

> Actually, the date should be the date it was committed, so it should
> be sorted.  Not sure about what should happen in case of merges, tho.

I think because of merges, things are always basically going to be a bit
screwed up.  There's no perfect solution.

I'd suggest the best thing would be to relax and not worry about
slightly misordered timestamps on entries.  It's not a big deal.

-Miles
--
The key to happiness
 is having dreams.	[from a fortune cookie]

* Re: ChangeLog entry timestamp
@ 2007-08-03 15:55       ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-08-03 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: Vinicius Jose Latorre, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

David Kastrup wrote:
> Huh?  Everybody creates his ChangeLog entry on his own.

If you use add-change-log-entry, it will DTRT.

* Re: ChangeLog entry timestamp
@ 2007-08-03 22:01     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-08-03 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: viniciusjl, emacs-devel

    Actually, the date should be the date it was committed, so it should
    be sorted.  Not sure about what should happen in case of merges, tho.

A merge into the trunk should be treated like any other installation
into the trunk.  The change log entries should look the same as they
would if the changes had been installed some other way.

This is because, that if you are merging into the trunk, you should
combine and simplify the change log entries.

From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-08-03 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: viniciusjl, monnier, emacs-devel

    > Actually, the date should be the date it was committed, so it should
    > be sorted.

    Wishful thinking.  Sorting the entries without sorting the
    corresponding commits is going to make an even greater mess.

The rule is simple.  You should put every entry at the front of the
change log file, with the current UTC date.

The only reason to insert an entry other than at the front of
ChangeLog is if you checked in the change previously and you forgot to
add the change log entry at the same time.