* [schierlm@gmx.de: Display problem on Windows with time zones containing Non-ASCII characters.]
@ 2007-06-06 16:59 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-06-06 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Would someone please fix this, then ack?

Please also test this in unicode-2, and fix it there if needed.

Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 23:29:29 +0200
From: Michael Schierl <schierlm@gmx.de>
To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Display problem on Windows with time zones containing Non-ASCII
	characters.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

- - Load emacs -Q on Windows, on German Windows XP
- - M-x calendar
- - Go to 21 June 2007, and press "h"
- - you will see in minibuffer:

Thursday, June 21, 2007:  Summer Solstice 8:05pm (Westeurop\344ische
Normalzeit)

where the four characters "\344" are written in red.
(it should have been an ä).
- - Go to scratch buffer, and evaluate
(current-time-zone) with C-j
- - Result is
(7200 "Westeurop\344ische Normalzeit")

So there is a problem with the ä in "Westeuropäische". There is another
problem that the correct time zone text should have been
"Mitteleuropäische Sommerzeit" (CEST) instead of "Westeuropäische
Normalzeit" but since both use the same timezone offset (-0200) I don't
know if you can fix that one. Fixing the charset should be possible,
however.

Michael

PS: The umlaut appears correctly below in the mail buffer in recent
messages, but it did not in the minibuffer.

In GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2007-06-02 on RELEASE
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --cflags -Ic:/gnuwin32/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: DEU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Calendar

Minor modes in effect:
  encoded-kbd-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:

Recent messages:
Checking holidays...
No holidays known for Wednesday, June 20, 2007
Checking holidays...
Thursday, June 21, 2007:  Summer Solstice 8:05pm (Westeuropäische
Normalzeit)

* Re: [schierlm@gmx.de: Display problem on Windows with time zones containing Non-ASCII characters.]
@ 2007-06-06 20:42 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-06-06 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:
> Would someone please fix this, then ack?

I will fix it, probably by forcing Windows to use numeric timezones.
Looking at the history of the previous fix, the fix I posted previously
is wrong, since the result of current-time-zone is used for mail
headers, where non-ASCII characters are not allowed, and the POSIX
timezone names are expected, not what Windows produces in most locales.

* Re: [schierlm@gmx.de: Display problem on Windows with time zones containing Non-ASCII characters.]
@ 2007-06-08  7:11   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-06-08  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: emacs-devel

    I will fix it, probably by forcing Windows to use numeric timezones.

Ok.  Please install the fix in Emacs 22.

* Re: [schierlm@gmx.de: Display problem on Windows with time zones containing Non-ASCII characters.]
@ 2007-06-08 15:15     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-06-08 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel, jasonr

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 03:11:20 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>     I will fix it, probably by forcing Windows to use numeric timezones.
>
> Ok.  Please install the fix in Emacs 22.

I think disabling timezone names is too drastic a measure.  Can we do
that only if tzname[] produces non-ASCII characters?

* Re: [schierlm@gmx.de: Display problem on Windows with time zones containing Non-ASCII characters.]
@ 2007-06-08 15:47       ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-06-08 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
>> Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 03:11:20 -0400
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>>     I will fix it, probably by forcing Windows to use numeric timezones.
>>
>> Ok.  Please install the fix in Emacs 22.
>>

> I think disabling timezone names is too drastic a measure.  Can we do
> that only if tzname[] produces non-ASCII characters?

Non-ASCII is a side issue, and treating it as the main issue is what
caused us to install an incorrect fix originally.

The original issue reported a number of years ago, was that the timezone
names for the Japanese locale on Windows are not RFC 822 compliant. So
we suppressed them in certain conditions, but in fact, the timezone
names are not RFC 822 compliant in most locales on Windows. Unless we
use a lookup table to figure out which names are RFC compliant and which
aren't, then I don't see a way we can leave them enabled.

* Re: [schierlm@gmx.de: Display problem on Windows with time zones containing Non-ASCII characters.]
@ 2007-06-09  8:56         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-06-09  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 16:47:59 +0100
> From: Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org>
> Cc: rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> the timezone names are not RFC 822 compliant in most locales on
> Windows.

Ah, okay, I wasn't aware of that, but looking on the Internet I see
now that this is indeed so.

Thanks for the explanations.