* Using the trunk
@ 2007-05-09 21:34 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-05-09 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I decided to drop the plan to make 22.1 from the trunk,
and make it from EMACS_22_BASE.  The change I put in the trunk only
is not important to put in EMACS_22_BASE.

* Re: Using the trunk
@ 2007-05-10 12:49 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2007-05-10 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

() Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
() Wed, 09 May 2007 17:34:32 -0400

   I decided to drop the plan to make 22.1 from the trunk,
   and make it from EMACS_22_BASE.

cool.  i am glad to hear this.

thi

* Re: Using the trunk
@ 2007-05-10 13:14 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-05-10 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:
> I decided to drop the plan to make 22.1 from the trunk,
> and make it from EMACS_22_BASE.  The change I put in the trunk only
> is not important to put in EMACS_22_BASE.

You do mean 22.2 here right?

Otherwise, this is a plan which I wasn't aware of, and I'm sure many
others weren't either. I do recall an idea to rebranch for 22.1 because
of tag naming issues, but I think that died out after too much time
passed without it being acted on, but since the branch was made, it was
always the intention to release 22.1 from a branch AFAIK.

If there are bugfixes in the trunk that need to go into 22.2, then we
need to either apply those to EMACS_22_BASE immediately after we release
22.1, or branch the branch and check them in now, so they can be merged
after release. The first option is easier as long as we get on and
release quickly (now that the legal problems are out of the way).