* [teirllm@dms.auburn.edu: Re: patch for locate.el when called with prefix arg]
@ 2007-04-25 14:52 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-04-25 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Someone please install this.

Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:16:38 -0500 (CDT)
From: Luc Teirlinck <teirllm@dms.auburn.edu>
To: rms@gnu.org
CC: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org, M.P.Hodges@rl.ac.uk
Subject: Re: patch for locate.el when called with prefix arg

Maybe the following slightly different patch is better.  Only two
words difference woth the original: GNU locate is referred to as a
"program" rather than as a command, to distinguish it from the Emacs
command `locate' mentioned later and `locate-in-alternate-database'
is now referred to as a "command" rather than function.

===File ~/locate-diff=======================================
*** locate.el	23 Apr 2007 18:54:38 -0500	1.44
- --- locate.el	24 Apr 2007 19:09:37 -0500
***************
*** 669,675 ****

  ;; Only for GNU locate
  (defun locate-in-alternate-database  (search-string database)
!   "Run the GNU locate command, using an alternate database."
    (interactive
        (list
         (progn
- --- 669,680 ----

  ;; Only for GNU locate
  (defun locate-in-alternate-database  (search-string database)
!   "Run the GNU locate program, using an alternate database.
!
! This command only works if you use GNU locate.  It does not work
! properly if `locate-prompt-for-command' is set to t.  In that
! case, you can just run the regular `locate' command and specify
! the database on the command line."
    (interactive
        (list
         (progn

* Re: [teirllm@dms.auburn.edu: Re: patch for locate.el when called with prefix arg]
@ 2007-04-26  3:41 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-04-26  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

> Someone please install this.

installed on trunk and branch

@ 2007-04-28 19:32   ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2007-04-28 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rgm; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris wrote:

   Richard Stallman wrote:

   > Someone please install this.

   installed on trunk and branch

There is one difference between my patch and what you committed,
which may or may not have been intentional:

The first line of my patch talked about the "GNU locate program" to
differentiate it from the Emacs `locate' command, as is done in other
places of locate.el.  You kept the old "GNU locate command" unchanged.
But now the docstring looks confusing:

    "Run the GNU locate command, using an alternate database.

  This command only works if you use GNU locate.  It does not work
  properly if `locate-prompt-for-command' is set to t.  In that
  case, you can just run the regular `locate' command and specify
  the database on the command line."

"This command only works..." now seems to refer to the GNU locate
command, rather than to `locate-in-alternate-database' and
"the regular `locate' command" ccould be interpreted as opposed to
"the GNU locate command".

To summarize, the only difference is:

    "Run the GNU locate command, using an alternate database.

was in my patch:

    "Run the GNU locate program, using an alternate database.

Sincerely,

Luc Teirlinck.

* Re: [teirllm@dms.auburn.edu: Re: patch for locate.el when called with prefix arg]
@ 2007-04-28 19:42     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-04-28 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luc Teirlinck; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Luc Teirlinck wrote:

> There is one difference between my patch and what you committed,
> which may or may not have been intentional:

an oversight, now corrected.

can this item be deleted from FOR-RELEASE?

* Re: [teirllm@dms.auburn.edu: Re: patch for locate.el when called with prefix arg]
@ 2007-04-29 21:41       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-04-29 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: teirllm, emacs-devel

    can this item be deleted from FOR-RELEASE?

Yes.  I did that.

Thanks.