* Please increase default value of message-log-max
@ 2007-04-06 23:16 Jason Spiro
From: Jason Spiro @ 2007-04-06 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

The default value of message-log-max in my 6-month-old Emacs snapshot
is 50.  This is not enough to hold all the messages Emacs emits at
startup on my PC.  Could you please bump the default for
message-log-max to a larger value so that nobody will ever have to
change the variable name?  I suggest 1024 or preferably even 8192,
since RAM is cheap and I can't think of any loss-of-privacy issues
this would cause.

Also, if you implemented this change, perhaps Elisp programmers would
start logging more information to *Messages*, which I think would be
handy when troubleshooting.

Regards,
Jason Spiro <jasonspiro4@gmail.com>

--
Jason Spiro: computer consulting with a smile.
I provide software development and training services to clients worldwide.

* Re: Please increase default value of message-log-max
@ 2007-04-07  9:15 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-04-07  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Spiro; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 19:16:47 -0400
> From: "Jason Spiro" <jasonspiro4@gmail.com>
>
> The default value of message-log-max in my 6-month-old Emacs snapshot
> is 50.  This is not enough to hold all the messages Emacs emits at
> startup on my PC.

Why can't you customize the value as the first thing your .emacs does?

* Re: Please increase default value of message-log-max
@ 2007-04-07 17:31 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-04-07 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rgm; +Cc: Jason Spiro, emacs-devel

I am not sure I like the idea of setting message-log-max to 1024,
but setting it to 100 probably can't do any harm.
Does anyone see a problem in this?

* Re: Please increase default value of message-log-max
@ 2007-04-07 20:17   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-04-07 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Jason Spiro, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

> I am not sure I like the idea of setting message-log-max to 1024,
> but setting it to 100 probably can't do any harm.

As a data point, I've had it set to 1000 for 3 years, and have never
seen any problems.

* Re: Please increase default value of message-log-max
@ 2007-04-07 20:30     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-04-07 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Jason Spiro, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris wrote:

> Richard Stallman wrote:
>
>> I am not sure I like the idea of setting message-log-max to 1024,
>> but setting it to 100 probably can't do any harm.
>
> As a data point, I've had it set to 1000 for 3 years, and have never
> seen any problems.

But, having said that, I suspect it's not important for most people,
those who need to can easily change it, so this close to a release
just bumping it to 100 (or doing nothing) is a better idea.

* RE: Please increase default value of message-log-max
@ 2007-04-07 21:02     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-04-07 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> > I am not sure I like the idea of setting message-log-max to 1024,
> > but setting it to 100 probably can't do any harm.
>
> As a data point, I've had it set to 1000 for 3 years, and have never
> seen any problems.

FWIW, same here, with 2000.

* Re: Please increase default value of message-log-max
@ 2007-04-08 19:53     ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2007-04-08 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> I am not sure I like the idea of setting message-log-max to 1024,
>> but setting it to 100 probably can't do any harm.
>
> As a data point, I've had it set to 1000 for 3 years, and have never
> seen any problems.

I've had the following in .emacs for some time, and also haven't had any
problems:

(setq message-log-max most-positive-fixnum)

Ted

--
Edward O'Connor
hober0@gmail.com

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

* Re: Please increase default value of message-log-max
@ 2007-04-08 19:56       ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-04-08 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Edward O'Connor wrote:
>>> I am not sure I like the idea of setting message-log-max to 1024,
>>> but setting it to 100 probably can't do any harm.
>> As a data point, I've had it set to 1000 for 3 years, and have never
>> seen any problems.
>
> I've had the following in .emacs for some time, and also haven't had any
> problems:
>
> (setq message-log-max most-positive-fixnum)

I always use (setq message-log-max t) and I have not noticed any
problems. (But on the other hand I often erase the message buffer.)