* Re: Strange emacsclient behaviour during use of isearch
       [not found]         ` <jwvejnrq1yg.fsf-monnier+emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-03-20 16:30           ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-03-20 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, Richard Stallman, Emacs-Devel

We've done another pretest and this issue is still undecided.

After researching the problem, Stefan said:

> [...] if I remove the `isearch-mode' check, the buffer is indeed displayed.
> The problem is that since it doesn't exit isearch, you end up isearching in
> the new buffer.

which seems like an argument for aborting the isearch (or an argument
for rethinking isearch, but I don't think we want to do that right
now).

One way or the other, we should reach a decision and fix the bug.

             Juanma

* Re: Strange emacsclient behaviour during use of isearch
@ 2007-03-21  3:50             ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-03-21  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, Richard Stallman, Emacs-Devel

> We've done another pretest and this issue is still undecided.

> After researching the problem, Stefan said:

>> [...] if I remove the `isearch-mode' check, the buffer is indeed displayed.
>> The problem is that since it doesn't exit isearch, you end up isearching in
>> the new buffer.

> which seems like an argument for aborting the isearch (or an argument for
> rethinking isearch, but I don't think we want to do that right now).

> One way or the other, we should reach a decision and fix the bug.

Yes, I think aborting the isearch is the best choice.
I wish we could do it more prettily than with the code you showed, but
I think we'll have to live with it for now.

* Re: Strange emacsclient behaviour during use of isearch
@ 2007-03-21  3:56             ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-03-21  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

I looked at the code and concluded that there is no way to distinguish
the case of a minibuffer on another terminal from the case of a minibuffer
on the same terminal.  So I think the minibuffer always has to be aborted.

(I said this a few days ago.)

We may as well treat isearch like the minibuffer.

So please go ahead and make the proposed change.

* Re: Strange emacsclient behaviour during use of isearch
@ 2007-03-21 12:04               ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-03-21 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, Richard Stallman, Emacs-Devel

On 3/21/07, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> I wish we could do it more prettily than with the code you showed, but
> I think we'll have to live with it for now.

Agreed.

             Juanma

* Re: Strange emacsclient behaviour during use of isearch
@ 2007-03-21 12:05               ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-03-21 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, monnier, emacs-devel

On 3/21/07, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> So I think the minibuffer always has to be aborted.
>
> (I said this a few days ago.)

I read that, but I wasn't sure about the isearch.

> So please go ahead and make the proposed change.

Done.
             Juanma