* Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/ChangeLog.7,v
       [not found] <E1HTN5Z-0005wT-Ut@savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2007-03-19 21:55 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-03-19 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-diffs, emacs-devel

On 3/19/07, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:

> -1998-06-03  Kevin Rodgers  <kevinr@ihs.com>
> +1998-06-03  Kevin Rodgers  <kevinr@ihs.com> (tiny change)

What's the point of these changes? Kevin Rodgers appears 30 times in
lisp/ChangeLog*, src/ChangeLog* and etc/ChangeLog. Even if every one
of them is tiny, the total surely surpasses the amount of code allowed
without signing papers, doesn't it? Or am I missing something?

             Juanma

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/ChangeLog.7,v
@ 2007-03-19 22:45   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2007-03-19 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: emacs-devel, rms, emacs-diffs

"Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

>> -1998-06-03  Kevin Rodgers  <kevinr@ihs.com>
>> +1998-06-03  Kevin Rodgers  <kevinr@ihs.com> (tiny change)
>
> What's the point of these changes? Kevin Rodgers appears 30 times in
> lisp/ChangeLog*, src/ChangeLog* and etc/ChangeLog. Even if every one
> of them is tiny, the total surely surpasses the amount of code allowed
> without signing papers, doesn't it? Or am I missing something?

The situation is this: Kevin Rodgers has only signed papers for vc and
ps-print, and RMS hasn't been able to get into contact with him.

The changes I made were for keeping track of which of the changes he
made are tiny, so we can tell where the situation stands.  The tiny
changes, I think, are OK: my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong)
is that thirty or so tiny changes is pushing the limits for requiring
papers, but still acceptable.

The main trouble, as it turns out, is a handful of non-trivial changes
he contributed to compile.el nearly ten years ago (in ChangeLog.5 and
ChangeLog.7).  Reverting these will be all but impossible.

I don't know how this can be resolved.  Under these circumstances, I'd
suggest relaxing the usual policy of strictly requiring copyright
assignments; the chance of any legal difficulty arising from his
contributions is surely vanishingly small.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/ChangeLog.7,v
@ 2007-03-19 22:58     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-03-19 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

On 3/19/07, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:

> The situation is this: Kevin Rodgers has only signed papers for vc and
> ps-print, and RMS hasn't been able to get into contact with him.

I don't understand. The most recent change by Kevin is from
2007-03-04. He was active in help-gnu-emacs two days ago. How can be
so difficult to contact him?

> The changes I made were for keeping track of which of the changes he
> made are tiny, so we can tell where the situation stands.

Aha, now I understand. Thanks.

> The tiny
> changes, I think, are OK: my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong)

IANAL :) I spoke because on previous discussions IIRC there was some
talk that ten or so lines were acceptable, *as total amount* of
collaboration by someone without papers. But I might be
misremembering.

> I don't know how this can be resolved.  Under these circumstances, I'd
> suggest relaxing the usual policy of strictly requiring copyright
> assignments; the chance of any legal difficulty arising from his
> contributions is surely vanishingly small.

I tend to agree, but we are not lawyers, are we? :( :)

             Juanma

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/ChangeLog.7,v
@ 2007-03-19 23:19       ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2007-03-19 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

"Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

> On 3/19/07, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:
>
>> The situation is this: Kevin Rodgers has only signed papers for vc and
>> ps-print, and RMS hasn't been able to get into contact with him.
>
> I don't understand. The most recent change by Kevin is from
> 2007-03-04. He was active in help-gnu-emacs two days ago. How can be
> so difficult to contact him?

Maybe RMS tried the wrong email address; I'll try emailing him.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/ChangeLog.7,v
@ 2007-03-20 16:13   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-03-20 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: cyd, emacs-diffs, emacs-devel

    What's the point of these changes? Kevin Rodgers appears 30 times in
    lisp/ChangeLog*, src/ChangeLog* and etc/ChangeLog. Even if every one
    of them is tiny, the total surely surpasses the amount of code allowed
    without signing papers, doesn't it? Or am I missing something?

There are a lot of details to worry about here.  Yidong and Glenn are
investigating what to do.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/ChangeLog.7,v
@ 2007-03-21  0:41       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-03-21  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: cyd, emacs-devel

    I don't understand. The most recent change by Kevin is from
    2007-03-04. He was active in help-gnu-emacs two days ago. How can be
    so difficult to contact him?

He didn't respond to my messages for two weeks.  However, today
I got a positive response.  So I think this will be taken care of soon.