* Re: move-end-of-line in comint buffers
       [not found] <87ejol4c57.fsf@cs.cmu.edu>
@ 2007-02-21  0:44 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-02-21  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Welsh Duggan; +Cc: emacs-devel

    1) Type `M-x shell RET'

    2) Type in a command (or any random junk) that wraps to the next
       visible line

    3) Type `C-p'.  The point should now be at the beginning of the
       prompt.

    4) Type `C-e'.  The point is now at the end of the prompt / beginning
       of the command.

    5) Type `C-e'.  The point is now at the end of the visible line.

    6) Type `C-e'.  The point is now at the end of the actual line.

    Behavior (5) above is unexpected.

It seems like a bug to me.  C-e is not supposed to stop at the end
of the screen line.

Would someone please fix this, then ack?

* Re: move-end-of-line in comint buffers
@ 2007-02-27 16:43   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2007-02-27 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     1) Type `M-x shell RET'
>
>     2) Type in a command (or any random junk) that wraps to the next
>        visible line
>
>     3) Type `C-p'.  The point should now be at the beginning of the
>        prompt.
>
>     4) Type `C-e'.  The point is now at the end of the prompt / beginning
>        of the command.
>
>     5) Type `C-e'.  The point is now at the end of the visible line.
>
>     6) Type `C-e'.  The point is now at the end of the actual line.
>

>     Behavior (5) above is unexpected.
>
> It seems like a bug to me.  C-e is not supposed to stop at the end
> of the screen line.
>
> Would someone please fix this, then ack?

This is a result of the fact that point started out from inside a
different field.  The current behavior is prevents point from getting
stuck in some fairly complicated circumstances, and it will be
difficult to fix it for this case without causing subtle bugs.

I think we should leave it till after the release.