* [lanubeblanca@googlemail.com: Unintended feature in Emacs 22]
@ 2006-11-27 23:43 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-11-27 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can someone please DTRT about this?

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 00:28:40 -0300
From: "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Roberto_Rodr=EDguez?=" <lanubeblanca@googlemail.com>
To: bug-gnu-emacs <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
Subject: Unintended feature in Emacs 22
	RCVD_BY_IP autolearn=no version=3.0.4

- --===============0365177355==

- ------=_Part_44252_30182601.1164598120639

When Emacs (built from the cvs latest revision) is at the introductory
splash screen, normally you click the window, or type a key and the splash
buffer goes away.  But if you choose that buffer in the buffer menu instead,
you will get an empty buffer named "GNU Emacs".

- ------=_Part_44252_30182601.1164598120639

When Emacs (built from the cvs latest revision) is at the introductory
splash screen, normally you click the window, or type a key and the
splash buffer goes away.&nbsp; But if you choose that buffer in the buffer
menu instead, you will get an empty buffer named &quot;GNU Emacs&quot;.

- --===============0365177355==--

* Re: [lanubeblanca@googlemail.com: Unintended feature in Emacs 22]
@ 2006-11-28 16:48 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-11-28 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> When Emacs (built from the cvs latest revision) is at the introductory
> splash screen, normally you click the window, or type a key and the splash
> buffer goes away.  But if you choose that buffer in the buffer menu instead,
> you will get an empty buffer named "GNU Emacs".

I fixed this by changing the initial buffer to " GNU Emacs", thus
hiding it.  Thanks.

* RE: [lanubeblanca@googlemail.com: Unintended feature in Emacs 22]
@ 2006-11-28 17:31   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-11-28 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I fixed this by changing the initial buffer to " GNU Emacs", thus
> hiding it.

Shouldn't that be " *GNU Emacs*"?

* Re: [lanubeblanca@googlemail.com: Unintended feature in Emacs 22]
@ 2006-11-29  3:30   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-11-29  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lanubeblanca, emacs-devel

    > When Emacs (built from the cvs latest revision) is at the introductory
    > splash screen, normally you click the window, or type a key and the splash
    > buffer goes away.  But if you choose that buffer in the buffer menu instead,
    > you will get an empty buffer named "GNU Emacs".

    I fixed this by changing the initial buffer to " GNU Emacs", thus
    hiding it.  Thanks.

Is this problem that the buffer "GNU Emacs" shows up in the buffer
menu?  I so, that change may be a sufficient fix.  But if the problem
is that the buffer ends up selected and not killed, I think it needs a
bigger fix.

Which one is it?

* Re: [lanubeblanca@googlemail.com: Unintended feature in Emacs 22]
@ 2006-11-29 16:12     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-11-29 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lanubeblanca, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     > When Emacs (built from the cvs latest revision) is at the introductory
>     > splash screen, normally you click the window, or type a key and the splash
>     > buffer goes away.  But if you choose that buffer in the buffer menu instead,
>     > you will get an empty buffer named "GNU Emacs".
>
>     I fixed this by changing the initial buffer to " GNU Emacs", thus
>     hiding it.  Thanks.
>
> Is this problem that the buffer "GNU Emacs" shows up in the buffer
> menu?  I so, that change may be a sufficient fix.  But if the problem
> is that the buffer ends up selected and not killed, I think it needs a
> bigger fix.
>
> Which one is it?

Normally, any input event kills the "GNU Emacs" splash buffer.
However, because the buffer name is not hidden, it shows up in the
Buffers menu.  That's why selecting this menu item causes firstly the
splash buffer to be killed, then a new empty "GNU Emacs" buffer to be
created.

I think the current fix is sufficient.

* Re: [lanubeblanca@googlemail.com: Unintended feature in Emacs 22]
@ 2006-11-30  3:21       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-11-30  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lanubeblanca, emacs-devel

    Normally, any input event kills the "GNU Emacs" splash buffer.
    However, because the buffer name is not hidden, it shows up in the
    Buffers menu.  That's why selecting this menu item causes firstly the
    splash buffer to be killed, then a new empty "GNU Emacs" buffer to be
    created.

    I think the current fix is sufficient.

Now I agree.  Thanks.