* Cannot encode some characters with iso-8859-1 - but which?
@ 2006-11-08 13:48 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-11-08 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

When you are trying to save a file with buffer encoding iso-8859-1 you
can get a message like above. But how do you find those characters? What
is a user supposed to do?

* Re: Cannot encode some characters with iso-8859-1 - but which?
@ 2006-11-09  0:54 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-11-09  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    When you are trying to save a file with buffer encoding iso-8859-1 you
    can get a message like above. But how do you find those characters?

They are supposed to be highlighted on the screen, and some of them
should be visible on screen.  Is that not the case?

* Re: Cannot encode some characters with iso-8859-1 - but which?
@ 2006-11-09 19:25   ` polypus
From: polypus @ 2006-11-09 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

i am having the same problem. i type C-x <RET> f iso-latin-1 <RET>.
then when i save a warning buffer opens saying

"These default coding systems were tried:
  iso-latin-1-unix mule-utf-8
However none of them safely encodes the target text.

Select one of the following safe coding systems: ... "

in the top buffer containing the file i want to save there is no
highlighting or visibility of the bad characters that i can see. i have
scoured the internet about the problem and can find nothing. is there a way
to see all invisible characters?

i'm running emacs 21.4.1, ubuntu dapper's default package.

thanks,
_c

@ 2006-11-11  2:11     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-11-11  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs-devel

    i'm running emacs 21.4.1, ubuntu dapper's default package.

I think this was improved since Emacs 21.

* Re: Cannot encode some characters with iso-8859-1 - but which?
@ 2006-11-12  2:59     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2006-11-12  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs-devel

In article <7264653.post@talk.nabble.com>, polypus <polypus@yahoo.com> writes:

> i am having the same problem. i type C-x <RET> f iso-latin-1 <RET>.
> then when i save a warning buffer opens saying

> "These default coding systems were tried:
>   iso-latin-1-unix mule-utf-8
> However none of them safely encodes the target text.

> Select one of the following safe coding systems: ... "

> in the top buffer containing the file i want to save there is no
> highlighting or visibility of the bad characters that i can see. i have
> scoured the internet about the problem and can find nothing. is there a way
> to see all invisible characters?

Please show us the information that is inserted in *mail*
buffer by M-x report-emacs-bug RET.  And also show us the
file itself, and exactly what you typed before saving it.

> i'm running emacs 21.4.1, ubuntu dapper's default package.

Perhaps, the problem is already fixed in the latest CVS
code.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org