* prexix argument of Info-copy-current-node-name
@ 2006-10-25 16:06 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-10-25 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juri Linkov

Hi,

`Info-copy-current-node-name' requires a _zero_ prefix argument to
copy the strings like ``(info "(emacs)Top")'' into the kill ring:

,----[ <f1> f Info-copy-current-node-name RET ]

`----

>From Juri's suggestion on emacs-devel [1] I understand that `M-0 w'
(or `C-u 0 w') was because of the analogy to
`dired-copy-filename-as-kill' [2].  But wouldn't it make more sense to
allow _any_ prefix argument in `Info-copy-current-node-name'?

Bye, Reiner.

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/23888/

[2]
,----[ <f1> f dired-copy-filename-as-kill RET ]

`----
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: prexix argument of Info-copy-current-node-name
@ 2006-10-25 20:43 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2006-10-25 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From Juri's suggestion on emacs-devel [1] I understand that `M-0 w'
> (or `C-u 0 w') was because of the analogy to
> `dired-copy-filename-as-kill' [2].  But wouldn't it make more sense to
> allow _any_ prefix argument in `Info-copy-current-node-name'?

I intended to reserve other possible values of the prefix key to allow
more output formats besides the current two.

We could add now only a new prefix `C-u w' (i.e. the most often used prefix)
in addition to `M-0 w', and leave room for more formats.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: prexix argument of Info-copy-current-node-name
@ 2006-10-30 15:13   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-10-30 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, Oct 25 2006, Juri Linkov wrote:

>> From Juri's suggestion on emacs-devel [1] I understand that `M-0 w'
>> (or `C-u 0 w') was because of the analogy to
>> `dired-copy-filename-as-kill' [2].  But wouldn't it make more sense to
>> allow _any_ prefix argument in `Info-copy-current-node-name'?
>
> I intended to reserve other possible values of the prefix key to allow
> more output formats besides the current two.

In my info add-on package `rs-info.el'[1], I do it the other way
round: The command `rs-info-insert-current-node' inserts suitable
output formats depending on the major mode (`rs-info-style-alist').
Or more precisely, the default format which may be overridden
interactively depends on the major mode.

> We could add now only a new prefix `C-u w' (i.e. the most often used prefix)
> in addition to `M-0 w', and leave room for more formats.

Fine with me.  Any objection against installing such a change now?

Bye, Reiner.

[1]
;; rs-info.el -- Some info related functions
[...]
--
       ,,,

@ 2006-10-31  0:18     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-10-31  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: juri, emacs-devel

It appears to me that the question of what to do here calls for more
thought.  So please defer this to after the release.