* Re: [mange@freemail.hu: Use tls.el instead of ssl.el for HTTPS?]
       [not found] ` <871wp9mpqk.fsf@latte.josefsson.org>
@ 2006-10-16 13:50   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-10-16 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mange, emacs-devel

    It is probably bad to prefer ssl.el over tls.el in Emacs code, since
    many people have old ssl.el laying around, and they may work less well
    than tls.el.

If URL works fine with tls.el, let's change it now to stop using ssl.
Magnus, would you please do that?

Simon, do you think we should move ssl.el to obsolete?

* Re: [mange@freemail.hu: Use tls.el instead of ssl.el for HTTPS?]
@ 2006-10-16 14:06     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2006-10-16 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mange, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     It is probably bad to prefer ssl.el over tls.el in Emacs code, since
>     many people have old ssl.el laying around, and they may work less well
>     than tls.el.
>
> If URL works fine with tls.el, let's change it now to stop using ssl.
> Magnus, would you please do that?
>
> Simon, do you think we should move ssl.el to obsolete?

ssl.el is not part of Emacs and, as far as I know, never was -- but
many people still have it installed.

If someone could test that URL works with tls.el, that would be
useful.  But I have no idea how to test this...  (url-retrieve
"https://www.ibm.com/" 'princ) perhaps?  Hm, yes, that appears to
work, and appears to use tls.el too.

/Simon

* Re: [mange@freemail.hu: Use tls.el instead of ssl.el for HTTPS?]
@ 2006-10-16 14:29     ` Magnus Henoch
From: Magnus Henoch @ 2006-10-16 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, Simon Josefsson

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> If URL works fine with tls.el, let's change it now to stop using ssl.
> Magnus, would you please do that?

Done.

Magnus

* Re: [mange@freemail.hu: Use tls.el instead of ssl.el for HTTPS?]