* cus-edit.el:custom-newline --- Problem on Linux Console:
@ 2006-08-23  1:19 T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-08-23  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

The update to cus-edit.el that adds  command custom-newline and
binds it  to the return key in customization buffers is causing
trouble on the Linux console (i.e. outside X)
in the following manner:

Pressing RET on insert and delete buttons created by custom has
no effect.

I looked at the source code,
and evaluated the following in the minibuffer with point on an
"[ins]" button:

 (setq b (get-char-property (point) 'button))
(widget-apply-action b (read-key-sequence "press"))
and pressed RET when prompted by the above, and the insert button
does get invoked currectly.

Perhaps there is a problem from reading the key as an event? I
don't know since I dont run under X.

 Thanks,
 --Raman

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: cus-edit.el:custom-newline --- Problem on Linux Console:
@ 2006-08-23 14:45 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-08-23 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: storm, emacs-devel

    Pressing RET on insert and delete buttons created by custom has
    no effect.

It works when I try it.
Please provide a precise test case.

* Re: cus-edit.el:custom-newline --- Problem on Linux Console:
@ 2006-08-25  3:45   ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-08-25  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: raman, emacs-devel, storm

I thought my original message had a test case -- not sure what
"precise test case" means.

Any custom widget that uses repeat -- linux console -- no X ---
insert and delete buttons are dead.

This is on FC3 if that matters.

@ 2006-08-25 14:02     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-08-25 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: storm, rms, emacs-devel

"T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> I thought my original message had a test case -- not sure what
> "precise test case" means.
>
> Any custom widget that uses repeat -- linux console -- no X ---
> insert and delete buttons are dead.
>
> This is on FC3 if that matters.

I can't reproduce this.  Here is what I tried.

On Linux console (Ubuntu Dapper), with the latest CVS Emacs:

  1. emacs -q
  2. M-x customize-option RET initial-frame-alist RET
  3. Move point over INS
  4. RET  =>  option field opens up
  5. Move point over DEL
  5. RET  =>  option field closes

initial-frame-alist has customization type

  '(repeat (cons :format "%v"
             (symbol :tag "Parameter")
                     (sexp :tag "Value")))

@ 2006-08-25 20:24     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-08-25 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: raman, emacs-devel, storm

    Any custom widget that uses repeat -- linux console -- no X ---
    insert and delete buttons are dead.

"Any custom widget" is a vague description of how to cause the failure
to happen.  A precise test case means you tell us exactly what
sequence of characters to type, starting with `emacs -Q', so as to
reproduce the bug.

* Re: cus-edit.el:custom-newline --- Problem on Linux Console:
@ 2006-08-27  5:48     ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-08-27  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, rms, storm

This does work, I was just confused ...

    tvr> I thought my original message had a test case -- not
    tvr> sure what "precise test case" means.
    tvr>
    tvr> Any custom widget that uses repeat -- linux console --
    tvr> no X --- insert and delete buttons are dead.
    tvr>
    tvr> This is on FC3 if that matters.
    tvr>
    Richard> Pressing RET on insert and delete buttons created by
    Richard> custom has no effect.
    Richard>
    Richard> It works when I try it.  Please provide a precise
    Richard> test case.

    tvr>
    tvr> -- Best Regards, --raman
    tvr>
    tvr>
    tvr> Email: raman@users.sf.net WWW:
    tvr> http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/ AIM: emacspeak GTalk:
    tvr> tv.raman.tv@gmail.com PGP:
    tvr> http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/raman-almaden.asc Google:
    tvr> tv+raman IRC: irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

--

@ 2006-08-28  9:51       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-08-28  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: raman, emacs-devel, storm