* Low-stress useful project
@ 2006-08-10 20:18 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-08-10 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

The Eshell manual, eshell.texi, is less than half complete.
Would people who work on Eshell like to work on adding what
is missing?  Maybe some parts can be copied from the Bash manual
and then adapted to fit Eshell.

* Re: Low-stress useful project
@ 2006-08-11  8:58 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2006-08-11  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Hi, Richard!

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 04:18:55PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> The Eshell manual, eshell.texi, is less than half complete.  Would
> people who work on Eshell like to work on adding what is missing?
> Maybe some parts can be copied from the Bash manual and then adapted
> to fit Eshell.

With all due respect to everybody, and so on, but the Bash manual, the
last time I looked at it[*], didn't seem to be one of the better manuals
in the GNU system.  It is short on examples, doesn't seem well
organized, and I found it maddeningly difficult to find out about basic
things (how do you write a `while' loop?) a few years back when I was
learning bash.  The bash man page is much more coherent.  I would
suggest NOT using the bash manual as a basis for eshell.texi.

[*] Version 2.5b, 15th July 2002

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)

* Re: Low-stress useful project
@ 2006-08-12  7:28 Mikiya Matsuzaka
From: Mikiya Matsuzaka @ 2006-08-12  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eshell.info has 'Function and Variable Index' section, but
almost empty.  This means we must read the source code to
customize Eshell.

I invoked grep command to list all interactive commands of
eshell, and edited its output.  The list follows.  I hope
somebody does the list of variables.

(defun eshell (&optional arg)
  "Create an interactive Eshell buffer.
The buffer used for Eshell sessions is determined by the value of
`eshell-buffer-name'.  If there is already an Eshell session active in
that buffer, Emacs will simply switch to it.  Otherwise, a new session
will begin.  A numeric prefix arg (as in `C-u 42 M-x eshell RET')
switches to the session with that number, creating it if necessary.  A
nonnumeric prefix arg means to create a new session.  Returns the
buffer selected (or created)."
  (interactive "P")

(defun eshell-command (&optional command arg)
  "Execute the Eshell command string COMMAND.
With prefix ARG, insert output into the current buffer at point."
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-report-bug (topic)
  "Report a bug in Eshell.
Prompts for the TOPIC.  Leaves you in a mail buffer.
Please include any configuration details that might be involved."
  (interactive "sBug Subject: ")

(defun eshell-insert-envvar (envvar-name)
  "Insert ENVVAR-NAME into the current buffer at point."
  (interactive
   (list (read-envvar-name "Name of environment variable: " t)))

(defun eshell-test-goto-func ()
  "Jump to the function that defines a particular test."
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-run-one-test (&optional arg)
  "Jump to the function that defines a particular test."
  (interactive "P")

(defun eshell-test (&optional arg)
  "Test Eshell to verify that it works as expected."
  (interactive "P")

(defun eshell-insert-process (process)
  "Insert the name of PROCESS into the current buffer at point."
  (interactive
   (list (get-process
   (eshell-read-process-name "Name of process: "))))

(defun eshell-interrupt-process ()
  "Interrupt a process."
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-kill-process ()
  "Kill a process."
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-quit-process ()
  "Send quit signal to process."
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-send-eof-to-process ()
  "Send EOF to process."
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-toggle-direct-send ()
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-self-insert-command (N)
  (interactive "i")

(defun eshell-find-tag (&optional tagname next-p regexp-p)
  "A special version of `find-tag' that ignores read-onlyness."
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-forward-argument (&optional arg)
  "Move forward ARG arguments."
  (interactive "p")
  (eshell-move-argument (point-max) 'forward-char 'arg-end arg))

(defun eshell-backward-argument (&optional arg)
  "Move backward ARG arguments."
  (interactive "p")

(defun eshell-repeat-argument (&optional arg)
  (interactive "p")

(defun eshell-bol ()
  "Goes to the beginning of line, then skips past the prompt, if any."
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-queue-input (&optional use-region)
  "Queue the current input text for execution by Eshell.
Particularly, don't send the text to the current process, even if it's
waiting for input."
  (interactive "P")

(defun eshell-send-input (&optional use-region queue-p no-newline)
  "Send the input received to Eshell for parsing and processing.
After `eshell-last-output-end', sends all text from that marker to
point as input.  Before that marker, calls `eshell-get-old-input' to
retrieve old input, copies it to the end of the buffer, and sends it.

If USE-REGION is non-nil, the current region (between point and mark)
will be used as input.

If QUEUE-P is non-nil, input will be queued until the next prompt,
rather than sent to the currently active process.  If no process, the
input is processed immediately.

If NO-NEWLINE is non-nil, the input is sent without an implied final
newline."
  (interactive "P")

(defun eshell-kill-output ()
  "Kill all output from interpreter since last input.
Does not delete the prompt."
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-show-output (&optional arg)
  "Display start of this batch of interpreter output at top of window.
Sets mark to the value of point when this command is run.
With a prefix argument, narrows region to last command output."
  (interactive "P")

(defun eshell-mark-output (&optional arg)
  "Display start of this batch of interpreter output at top of window.
Sets mark to the value of point when this command is run.
With a prefix argument, narrows region to last command output."
  (interactive "P")

(defun eshell-kill-input ()
  "Kill all text from last stuff output by interpreter to point."
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-show-maximum-output (&optional interactive)
  "Put the end of the buffer at the bottom of the window.
When run interactively, widen the buffer first."
  (interactive "p")

(defun eshell-copy-old-input ()
  "Insert after prompt old input at point as new input to be edited."
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-life-is-too-much ()
  "Kill the current buffer (or bury it).  Good-bye Eshell."
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-truncate-buffer ()
  "Truncate the buffer to `eshell-buffer-maximum-lines'.
This function could be on `eshell-output-filter-functions' or bound to
a key."
 (interactive)

(defun eshell-send-invisible (str)
  "Read a string without echoing.
Then send it to the process running in the current buffer."
  (interactive "P")                     ; Defeat snooping via C-x ESC ESC

(defun eshell-insert-buffer-name (buffer-name)
  "Insert BUFFER-NAME into the current buffer at point."
  (interactive "BName of buffer: ")

(defun eshell-occur-mode-goto-occurrence ()
  "Go to the occurrence the current line describes."
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-occur-mode-mouse-goto (event)
  "In Occur mode, go to the occurrence whose line you click on."
  (interactive "e")

(defun eshell-diff-quit ()
  "Restore the window configuration previous to diff'ing."
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-smart-goto-end ()
  "Like `end-of-buffer', but do not push a mark."
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-source-file (file &optional args subcommand-p)
  "Execute a series of Eshell commands in FILE, passing ARGS.
Comments begin with '#'."
  (interactive "f")

(defun eshell-lock-local-map (&optional arg)
  "Lock or unlock the current local keymap.
Within a prefix arg, set the local keymap to its normal value, and
lock it at that."
  (interactive "P")

(defun eshell-delete-backward-char (n &optional killflag)
  "Delete the last character, unless it's part of the output."
  (interactive "P")

(defun eshell-delchar-or-maybe-eof (arg)
  "Delete ARG characters forward or send an EOF to subprocess.
Sends an EOF only if point is at the end of the buffer and there is no
input."
  (interactive "p")

(defun eshell-backward-matching-input (regexp arg)
  "Search backward through buffer for match for REGEXP.
Matches are searched for on lines that match `eshell-prompt-regexp'.
With prefix argument N, search for Nth previous match.
If N is negative, find the next or Nth next match."
  (interactive (eshell-regexp-arg "Backward input matching (regexp): "))

(defun eshell-forward-matching-input (regexp arg)
  "Search forward through buffer for match for REGEXP.
Matches are searched for on lines that match `eshell-prompt-regexp'.
With prefix argument N, search for Nth following match.
If N is negative, find the previous or Nth previous match."
  (interactive (eshell-regexp-arg "Forward input matching (regexp): "))

(defun eshell-next-prompt (n)
  "Move to end of Nth next prompt in the buffer.
See `eshell-prompt-regexp'."
  (interactive "p")

(defun eshell-previous-prompt (n)
  "Move to end of Nth previous prompt in the buffer.
See `eshell-prompt-regexp'."
  (interactive "p")

(defun eshell-display-predicate-help ()
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-display-modifier-help ()
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-list-history ()
  "List in help buffer the buffer's input history."
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-get-next-from-history ()
  "After fetching a line from input history, this fetches the next.
In other words, this recalls the input line after the line you
recalled last.  You can use this to repeat a sequence of input lines."
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-previous-input (arg)
  "Cycle backwards through input history."
  (interactive "*p")

(defun eshell-next-input (arg)
  "Cycle forwards through input history."
  (interactive "*p")

(defun eshell-previous-matching-input (regexp arg)
  "Search backwards through input history for match for REGEXP.
\(Previous history elements are earlier commands.)
With prefix argument N, search for Nth previous match.
If N is negative, find the next or Nth next match."
  (interactive (eshell-regexp-arg "Previous input matching (regexp): "))

(defun eshell-next-matching-input (regexp arg)
  "Search forwards through input history for match for REGEXP.
\(Later history elements are more recent commands.)
With prefix argument N, search for Nth following match.
If N is negative, find the previous or Nth previous match."
  (interactive (eshell-regexp-arg "Next input matching (regexp): "))

(defun eshell-previous-matching-input-from-input (arg)
  "Search backwards through input history for match for current input.
\(Previous history elements are earlier commands.)
With prefix argument N, search for Nth previous match.
If N is negative, search forwards for the -Nth following match."
  (interactive "p")

(defun eshell-next-matching-input-from-input (arg)
  "Search forwards through input history for match for current input.
\(Following history elements are more recent commands.)
With prefix argument N, search for Nth following match.
If N is negative, search backwards for the -Nth previous match."
  (interactive "p")

(defun eshell-isearch-backward (&optional invert)
  "Do incremental regexp search backward through past commands."
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-isearch-repeat-backward (&optional invert)
  "Do incremental regexp search backward through past commands."
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-isearch-forward ()
  "Do incremental regexp search backward through past commands."
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-isearch-repeat-forward ()
  "Do incremental regexp search backward through past commands."
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-isearch-cancel ()
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-isearch-abort ()
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-isearch-delete-char ()
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-isearch-return ()
  (interactive)

(defun eshell-completion-help ()
  (interactive)

------------------------------------------------------------------------.

* Re: Low-stress useful project
@ 2006-08-12 14:28   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-08-12 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    With all due respect to everybody, and so on, but the Bash manual, the
    last time I looked at it[*], didn't seem to be one of the better manuals
    in the GNU system.  It is short on examples, doesn't seem well
    organized, and I found it maddeningly difficult to find out about basic
    things (how do you write a `while' loop?) a few years back when I was
    learning bash.

Would you like to work on improving it?  It won't magically change by
itself.

      The bash man page is much more coherent.

It is ok to copy the text from there, too; it will require rewriting into
Texinfo, though.

* Re: Low-stress useful project
@ 2006-08-12 17:23     ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2006-08-12 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Hi, Richard!

On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 10:28:03AM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     With all due respect to everybody, and so on, but the Bash manual,
>     the last time I looked at it[*], didn't seem to be one of the
>     better manuals in the GNU system.  It is short on examples,
>     doesn't seem well organized, and I found it maddeningly difficult
>     to find out about basic things (how do you write a `while' loop?)
>     a few years back when I was learning bash.

> Would you like to work on improving it?  It won't magically change by
> itself.

A fair response (even if a little bit hackneyed).  I'd like to work on
it, but that would mean doing less on other things (like Emacs and CC
Mode), so I'll just leave it.

I wasn't disparaging this manual out of personal frustration or hate or
anything like that - I merely wanted anybody contemplating the task (of
doing eshell.texi) not to take over the form of bashref.texi
uncritically.

--
Alan.

* Re: Low-stress useful project
@ 2006-08-12 22:01 ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-08-12 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

For the emacspeak project, I eventually ended up writing code
that extracts variable and function docs from the source
code. This is *not* a replacement for a hand-written manual, but
it is better than nothing.

If there is interest I can contribute this to the Emacs
distribution.

Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net