* [riceowlguy@gmail.com: Bug report: Incorrect error message for overwriting file with not enough disk space]
@ 2006-08-04  0:34 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-08-04  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anyone arrange to test this for the current version?
It is important for Emacs to work right in such situations.

Please ack if you can test it.

Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 11:48:17 -0500
From: "Alex Hemsath" <riceowlguy@gmail.com>
To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Bug report: Incorrect error message for overwriting file with not
	enough disk space
	RCVD_BY_IP autolearn=no version=3.0.4

- --===============0350707155==

- ------=_Part_89958_15637570.1154537297564

Bug report for Gnu Emacs
Version: 21.4.2
OS: Mandriva Linux 2006 Free
Filesystem: ext3

Scenario: overwriting (C-x C-w) an existing file, where the new file to be
written is larger than the available disk space on the filesystem where the
original file is kept.

Bug: after confirming that it is okay to overwrite the existing file, the
error message displayed is "file already exists".
Expected behavior: error message should read "No space left on device or
similar".

strace confirms that emacs is getting the right errno (ENOSPC) for the write
to the file handle.

Thanks,
Alex

- --===============0350707155==--

* [riceowlguy@gmail.com: Bug report: Incorrect error message for overwriting file with not enough disk space]
@ 2006-08-05  0:43 ` Bob Rogers
From: Bob Rogers @ 2006-08-05  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
   Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 20:34:44 -0400

   Can anyone arrange to test this for the current version?
   It is important for Emacs to work right in such situations.

   Please ack if you can test it.

I cannot reproduce this.

   Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 11:48:17 -0500
   From: "Alex Hemsath" <riceowlguy@gmail.com>
	   enough disk space

   Bug report for Gnu Emacs
   Version: 21.4.2
   OS: Mandriva Linux 2006 Free
   Filesystem: ext3

   Scenario: overwriting (C-x C-w) an existing file, where the new file to be
   written is larger than the available disk space on the filesystem where the
   original file is kept.

   Bug: after confirming that it is okay to overwrite the existing file, the
   error message displayed is "file already exists".
   Expected behavior: error message should read "No space left on device or
   similar".

   strace confirms that emacs is getting the right errno (ENOSPC) for the write
   to the file handle.

   Thanks,
   Alex

I did the following:

   1.  emacs -Q

   2.  "C-x C-f /usr/te TAB fou TAB RET" to read a 4MB file from a 6MB
partition.

   3.  "C-x C-w tri TAB RET" to overwrite the existing zero-length
/usr/test/trial file.

   4.  "SPC" at the "File `/usr/test/trial' exists; overwrite? (y or n)"
prompt to confirm.

   5.  emacs responds with the following messages:

	Saving file /usr/test/trial...
	basic-save-buffer-2: IO error writing /usr/test/trial: No space left on device

This is on GNU/Linux (SuSE 9.0), where /usr/test/ is an ext3 partition,
using an Emacs built from CVS on 22-July; is that close enough?  I will
retest with a more up-to-date version, but that may take a while.

					-- Bob Rogers
					   http://rgrjr.dyndns.org/

* Re: [riceowlguy@gmail.com: Bug report: Incorrect error message for overwriting file with not enough disk space]
@ 2006-08-05  5:06   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-08-05  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: riceowlguy, emacs-devel

       Can anyone arrange to test this for the current version?
       It is important for Emacs to work right in such situations.

       Please ack if you can test it.

    I cannot reproduce this.

Do you mean that you tested this case and it did not fail?
Or that you were not able to test it?

* Re: [riceowlguy@gmail.com: Bug report: Incorrect error message for overwriting file with not enough disk space]
@ 2006-08-05 10:13 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-08-05 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, rms, emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 20:34:44 -0400
>
> Can anyone arrange to test this for the current version?
> It is important for Emacs to work right in such situations.
>
> Please ack if you can test it.

I tried this with today's CVS in the MS-Windows port writing to a
floppy, and I cannot reproduce the problem: I get "No space left on
device", as expected.

* Re: [riceowlguy@gmail.com: Bug report: Incorrect error message for overwriting file with not enough disk space]
@ 2006-08-05 15:07   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-08-05 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, riceowlguy, emacs-devel

    I tried this with today's CVS in the MS-Windows port writing to a
    floppy, and I cannot reproduce the problem: I get "No space left on
    device", as expected.

Looks like that bug as been fixed already.  Thanks for testing it.

* Re: [riceowlguy@gmail.com: Bug report: Incorrect error message for overwriting file with not enough disk space]
@ 2006-08-05 15:53     ` Bob Rogers
From: Bob Rogers @ 2006-08-05 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: riceowlguy, emacs-devel

   From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
   Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 01:06:11 -0400

	  Can anyone arrange to test this for the current version?
	  It is important for Emacs to work right in such situations.

	  Please ack if you can test it.

       I cannot reproduce this.

   Do you mean that you tested this case and it did not fail?
   Or that you were not able to test it?

I tested it, and it worked as expected.

					-- Bob

* Re: [riceowlguy@gmail.com: Bug report: Incorrect error message for overwriting file with not enough disk space]
@ 2006-08-05 17:19       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-08-05 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: riceowlguy, emacs-devel

Thanks for testing.  It is good to know there is no bug there.