From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [drew.adams@oracle.com: Customize value menudoesn'trecognizemouse-2]
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 11:59:05 -0400	[thread overview]

> From: "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 08:19:44 -0700
>
>     From my perspective, mouse-2 in menus now performs on Windows as it
>     does in other Windows GUI programs and as it works with some toolkits
>     on X.  mouse-2 on a button in Customize, which drops the value menu
>     does _not_ behave as on X.
>
>     Given these facts and the fact that mouse-2 behavior on Windows in
>     both these types of menu msut be the same, what would you want that
>     uniform behavior to be?
>
> I thought I made that clear from the start, but let me try to be clearer.
>
> As I said in this bug report, I would prefer that mouse-2 be able to open
> the value menu if and only if mouse-2 can also select from that menu. The
> same should be true of any mouse button: it should open a menu if and only
> if it can also use the menu (select from it).

My preference is to unbind mouse-2 on buttons, at least for
MS-Windows.  This will make behavior on all platforms consistent, as
you would like.  But Richard asked not to make such a change, so my
hands are tied.

> I feel the same about other menus, but this report was only about the
> Customize value menu. If all kinds of menus cannot be fixed this way, then
> let's at least fix as many as we can. It doesn't make sense for a user to
> discover that s?he can open a menu with a mouse button but cannot select
> from that menu with the same button. That seems obvious, to me.

Other menus already behave consistently, at least on Windows: you
cannot drop a menu with mouse-2, and you cannot select a menu item
with mouse-2.