* x-display-name confusion
@ 2006-07-05 10:59 Otto Maddox
From: Otto Maddox @ 2006-07-05 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

The documentation for x-display-name isn't very clear.  Currently, it is this:

"The X display name specifying server and X frame."

Is it supposed to give the X display on which Emacs was started, or the X display for the current frame?  I had been trying to use it for the latter.  (Of course, I should have used the "display" property of the current frame.)  In any case, I think the doc string for x-display-name is a bit ambiguous.

What do you think?

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different…

* Re: x-display-name confusion
@ 2006-07-07  4:13 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-07-07  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    The documentation for x-display-name isn't very clear.  Currently, it is this:

    "The X display name specifying server and X frame."

    Is it supposed to give the X display on which Emacs was started,
    or the X display for the current frame?

As currently implemented, it reflects where Emacs started.
However, I think that's a bug, and that it ought to reflect
the current frame, or a specified frame.

* Re: x-display-name confusion
@ 2006-07-07 13:43   ` Otto Maddox
From: Otto Maddox @ 2006-07-07 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006, "Richard Stallman" <rms@gnu.org> said:

>     The documentation for x-display-name isn't very clear.  Currently, it
>     is this:
>
>     "The X display name specifying server and X frame."
>
> As currently implemented, it reflects where Emacs started.
> However, I think that's a bug, and that it ought to reflect
> the current frame, or a specified frame.

I think that sounds good.  At least, that's what I expected it to do
when I first tried to use it.  But then I found out how to do it via
frame parameters.

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - And now for something completely different…

* Re: x-display-name confusion
@ 2006-07-07 15:28   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-07-07 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, Otto Maddox

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     The documentation for x-display-name isn't very clear.  Currently, it is this:
>
>     "The X display name specifying server and X frame."
>
>     Is it supposed to give the X display on which Emacs was started,
>     or the X display for the current frame?
>
> As currently implemented, it reflects where Emacs started.
> However, I think that's a bug, and that it ought to reflect
> the current frame, or a specified frame.

There is already a frame parameter called 'display, so making
x-display-name a frame-local variable is redundant.  Anyway, it is
useful to have a way of knowing which display Emacs started on.

I suggest keeping the current behavior, and updating the docstring of
x-display-name to say that it reflects where Emacs started, plus a
reference to the 'display frame parameter.

* Re: x-display-name confusion
@ 2006-07-08  1:13     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-07-08  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, ottomaddox

    I suggest keeping the current behavior, and updating the docstring of
    x-display-name to say that it reflects where Emacs started, plus a
    reference to the `display' frame parameter.

Ok, thanks.