* Unreliability in CVS access
@ 2006-06-24 23:22 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-06-24 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms-response-1w

Has anyone investigated this problem?  It is a serious problem,
which is why I put it in FOR-RELEASE.

There used to be a bad interaction between CVS and SSH.
A year ago I convinced the CVS developers to make a change
designed to solve the problem.  Is this that same problem?
I am not sure, but the fact that the problem never happens
with Emacs 21 suggests the bug is in Emacs.

JD Smith, are you using CVS thru SSH?
Does the problem go away with the latest CVS?
Does the latest CVS contain a fix for the problem
as they discussed it a year ago?

To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: JD Smith <jdsmith@as.arizona.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 12:34:19 -0700
Subject: CVS issues
Sender: emacs-devel-bounces+rms=gnu.org@gnu.org

With a recent build of CVS Emacs, I've experienced problems relating to
the "cvs" command in VC mode.  E.g. C-x v l often results in:

Process cvs killed

or sometimes "No differences" on a file which has changed.  It is
intermittent, and only about 50% of the time does the command succeed.
Emacs 21.4 does not have this problem, succeeding every time.  These issue
also cause the log buffer window to be much smaller than it normally
would (like 3 lines high), which persists even when the command later
succeeds.

In case it matters, I have:

Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.19 (client/server)

JD

* Re: Unreliability in CVS access
@ 2006-06-25 19:36 ` JD Smith
From: JD Smith @ 2006-06-25 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms-response-1w, emacs-devel

On Jun 24, 2006, at 4:22 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:

> Has anyone investigated this problem?  It is a serious problem,
> which is why I put it in FOR-RELEASE.
>
> There used to be a bad interaction between CVS and SSH.
> A year ago I convinced the CVS developers to make a change
> designed to solve the problem.  Is this that same problem?
> I am not sure, but the fact that the problem never happens
> with Emacs 21 suggests the bug is in Emacs.
>
> JD Smith, are you using CVS thru SSH?
> Does the problem go away with the latest CVS?
> Does the latest CVS contain a fix for the problem
> as they discussed it a year ago?

Though I have not exercised CVS through SSH much recently, I have not
had the problem recur (same CVS version).  My vague impression was
that it was related to a temporary or intermittent configuration
issue on the server (e.g. savannah) side which persisted for several
weeks in April, but I don't have much more to go on than that.
Stefan Monnier mentioned other reports of the same or similar
problem, so perhaps tracking those down would yield progress.  Sorry
I don't have more help to offer.  I will certainly keep an eye out
for recurrence.

@ 2006-06-26 11:33   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-06-26 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms-response-1w, emacs-devel

Pending further information, I will delete the item from FOR-RELEASE.
Thanks.