* Intlfonts
@ 2006-01-10 19:40 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-01-10 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know whether there are plans to add ISO-8859-15 (and other
newer Latin scripts) support to Intlfonts?  I think 1.2.1 still
doesn't support Latin-9, which sounds a bit odd, to say the least...

One area where this could be a problem is use of ps-print to print
Latin-9 text on a printer that doesn't have Latin-9 font (e.g., in a
non-Latin locale).

Am I missing something?

* Intlfonts
@ 2006-06-16 15:57 Per Starbäck
From: Per Starbäck @ 2006-06-16 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

mule.texi says

> graphical display, you need to have a suitable font.  If some of the
> characters appear as empty boxes, you should install the GNU Intlfonts
> package, which includes fonts for most supported scripts.@footnote{If
> you run Emacs on X, you need to inform the X server about the location
> of the newly installed fonts with the following commands:

With emacs 21.4 I get no empty boxes after "C-h h" with Intlfonts
installed, but with the current (as of a couple of days ago) cvs emacs
I get a lot of those, for example for Georgian (not present in 21.4)
and Hindi (OK in 21.4!).

Will there be a new Intlfonts release before the next Emacs release?
(I looked for a development version but couldn't find any.)
Or are there any other fonts than Intlfonts that should be recommended
here in the documentation?

Now I also get empty boxes for Greek, Hebrew and Russian in the
mule-unicode-0100-24ff section at the end. Greek, Hebrew and Russian
in the main section above works fine though. Is it not possible to use
the same fonts?

* Re: Intlfonts
@ 2006-06-17 19:15 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-06-17 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Per_Starb=E4ck?= <per.starback@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:57:28 +0200
>
> With emacs 21.4 I get no empty boxes after "C-h h" with Intlfonts
> installed, but with the current (as of a couple of days ago) cvs emacs
> I get a lot of those, for example for Georgian (not present in 21.4)
> and Hindi (OK in 21.4!).

Please go to these characters and type "C-u C-x =".  Then look at the
character set that the CVS Emacs uses for those characters.  My
crystal ball says that in the CVS version these characters were
translated into Unicode, and you don't have a Unicode font installed
that covers these characters.

* Re: Intlfonts
@ 2006-06-19  8:49   ` Per Starbäck
From: Per Starbäck @ 2006-06-19  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

mule.texi:

> graphical display, you need to have a suitable font.  If some of the
> characters appear as empty boxes, you should install the GNU Intlfonts
> package, which includes fonts for most supported scripts.@footnote{If
> you run Emacs on X, you need to inform the X server about the location
> of the newly installed fonts with the following commands:

me:
> With emacs 21.4 I get no empty boxes after "C-h h" with Intlfonts
> installed, but with the current (as of a couple of days ago) cvs emacs
> I get a lot of those, for example for Georgian (not present in 21.4)
> and Hindi (OK in 21.4!).

Eli:
> Please go to these characters and type "C-u C-x =".  Then look at the
> character set that the CVS Emacs uses for those characters.  My
> crystal ball says that in the CVS version these characters were
> translated into Unicode, and you don't have a Unicode font installed
> that covers these characters.

Yes. they are mule-unicode-* characters. My question is still
primarily if there is anything more that should be written in the
documentation about how to avoid those empty boxes, now that intlfonts
isn't enough anymore. I think many users might wonder about this. (I'm
currently using a Fedora Core 4 system with every font package
installed + Intlfonts, which they unfortunately don't include.)

* Re: Intlfonts
@ 2006-06-19 19:05     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-06-19 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:49:57 +0200
> From: "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Per_Starb=E4ck?=" <per.starback@gmail.com>
>
> Yes. they are mule-unicode-* characters. My question is still
> primarily if there is anything more that should be written in the
> documentation about how to avoid those empty boxes, now that intlfonts
> isn't enough anymore.

You need the right fonts to be installed, as always.

If you want to go back to pre-v22 behavior, try customizing
unify-8859-on-decoding-mode.

* Re: Intlfonts
@ 2006-06-20  1:10 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2006-06-20  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <qz1wtp9jpz.fsf@sonorant.lingfil.uu.se>, Per Starbäck <per.starback@gmail.com> writes:

> Will there be a new Intlfonts release before the next Emacs release?
> (I looked for a development version but couldn't find any.)
> Or are there any other fonts than Intlfonts that should be recommended
> here in the documentation?

There's Unicode fonts generated by gathering glyphs in fonts
of intlfonts:
    ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/fonts/etl-unicode.tar.gz
I think it's worth mentioning it in the documentation.

Or, as they are declared as public domain, it may be good to
include it in intlfonts.  But, I don't have a time to keep
on maintaining intlfonts.  Aren't there anyone who take over
that package?

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Intlfonts
@ 2006-06-23 13:38   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-06-23 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: per.starback, emacs-devel

> From: Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org>
> Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:10:30 +0900
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Will there be a new Intlfonts release before the next Emacs release?
> > (I looked for a development version but couldn't find any.)
> > Or are there any other fonts than Intlfonts that should be recommended
> > here in the documentation?
>
> There's Unicode fonts generated by gathering glyphs in fonts
> of intlfonts:
>     ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/fonts/etl-unicode.tar.gz
> I think it's worth mentioning it in the documentation.

They are already mentioned in INSTALL:

    BDF fonts etl-unicode.tar.gz used by ps-print and ps-mule to print
    Unicode characters are available from <URL:ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/fonts/>
    and <URL:ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/mirror/X.Org/contrib/fonts/>.

But this text makes it sound like etl-unicode.tar.gz is only for
ps-print.  Should we change it to say that they are also useful for
display?

* Re: Intlfonts
@ 2006-06-28 11:57     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2006-06-28 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: per.starback, emacs-devel

In article <uhd2c9els.fsf@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org>
>> Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:10:30 +0900
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> > Will there be a new Intlfonts release before the next Emacs release?
>> > (I looked for a development version but couldn't find any.)
>> > Or are there any other fonts than Intlfonts that should be recommended
>> > here in the documentation?
>>
>> There's Unicode fonts generated by gathering glyphs in fonts
>> of intlfonts:
>> ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/fonts/etl-unicode.tar.gz
>> I think it's worth mentioning it in the documentation.

> They are already mentioned in INSTALL:

>     BDF fonts etl-unicode.tar.gz used by ps-print and ps-mule to print
>     Unicode characters are available from <URL:ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/fonts/>
>     and <URL:ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/mirror/X.Org/contrib/fonts/>.

> But this text makes it sound like etl-unicode.tar.gz is only for
> ps-print.  Should we change it to say that they are also useful for
> display?

Yes, I think so.

I also found that intlfonts is mentioned in etc/PROBLEMS at
this section:

* Runtime problems related to font handling

** Under X11, some characters appear as hollow boxes.

I think it is better to mention etl-unicode here too.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Intlfonts
@ 2006-06-30 12:40       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-06-30 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: per.starback, emacs-devel

> From: Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org>
> CC: per.starback@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 20:57:43 +0900
>
> >     BDF fonts etl-unicode.tar.gz used by ps-print and ps-mule to print
> >     Unicode characters are available from <URL:ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/fonts/>
> >     and <URL:ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/mirror/X.Org/contrib/fonts/>.
>
> > But this text makes it sound like etl-unicode.tar.gz is only for
> > ps-print.  Should we change it to say that they are also useful for
> > display?
>
> Yes, I think so.
>
> I also found that intlfonts is mentioned in etc/PROBLEMS at
> this section:
>
> * Runtime problems related to font handling
>
> ** Under X11, some characters appear as hollow boxes.
>
> I think it is better to mention etl-unicode here too.

Done, on both counts.

* Re: Intlfonts
@ 2006-06-30 12:54         ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2006-06-30 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: per.starback, emacs-devel

In article <upsgqstoq.fsf@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> > But this text makes it sound like etl-unicode.tar.gz is only for
>> > ps-print.  Should we change it to say that they are also useful for
>> > display?
>>
>> Yes, I think so.
>>
>> I also found that intlfonts is mentioned in etc/PROBLEMS at
>> this section:
>>
>> * Runtime problems related to font handling
>>
>> ** Under X11, some characters appear as hollow boxes.
>>
>> I think it is better to mention etl-unicode here too.

> Done, on both counts.

Thank you!

---
Kenichi Handa