* Minibuffer completion and M-<TAB>
@ 2006-06-16 20:30 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-06-16 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

The manual node "(emacs) Completion Commands" (9.3.2) says that

`<TAB>'
     Complete the text before point in the minibuffer as much as
     possible (`minibuffer-complete').

This is not true always. At the M-: prompt you have to use M-<TAB>.

I would prefer to also be able use <TAB> for completion there. However
currently I think the manual should mention Symbol Completion here.

* Re: Minibuffer completion and M-<TAB>
@ 2006-06-17 17:57 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-06-17 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    `<TAB>'
	 Complete the text before point in the minibuffer as much as
	 possible (`minibuffer-complete').

    This is not true always. At the M-: prompt you have to use M-<TAB>.

I think that is a misunderstanding.  The M-TAB command is
something else.

* Re: Minibuffer completion and M-<TAB>
@ 2006-06-17 23:58   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-06-17 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:
>     `<TAB>'
> 	 Complete the text before point in the minibuffer as much as
> 	 possible (`minibuffer-complete').
>
>     This is not true always. At the M-: prompt you have to use M-<TAB>.
>
> I think that is a misunderstanding.  The M-TAB command is
> something else.

I believe I know the difference, but still I often try to complete
symbols in the minibuffer with just TAB. And this help text seems to
imply it should, doesn't it?

* Re: Minibuffer completion and M-<TAB>
@ 2006-06-18 16:26     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-06-18 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    I believe I know the difference, but still I often try to complete
    symbols in the minibuffer with just TAB. And this help text seems to
    imply it should, doesn't it?

TAB is for completing _a minibuffer argument_.
M-TAB completes a Lisp symbol, which in this cases can occur
within a minibuffer argument, but completing a symbol is not the
same thing as completing a minibuffer argument.