* Verbosity patch for custom-load-symbol
@ 2006-04-21 14:17 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2006-04-21 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here is a little patch for custom.el which prevents it from
displaying unnecessary messages that can be confusing at times (e.g.

*** custom.el	20 Apr 2006 14:28:31 +0100	1.126
--- custom.el	21 Apr 2006 15:12:09 +0100
***************
*** 608,614 ****
   	      ;; We are still loading it when we call this,
   	      ;; and it is not in load-history yet.
   	      ((equal load "cus-edit"))
! 	      (t (condition-case nil (load load) (error nil))))))))
   \f
   (defvar custom-local-buffer nil
     "Non-nil, in a Customization buffer, means customize a specific
buffer.
--- 608,614 ----
   	      ;; We are still loading it when we call this,
   	      ;; and it is not in load-history yet.
   	      ((equal load "cus-edit"))
! 	      (t (condition-case nil (load load nil 'quiet) (error
nil))))))))
   \f
   (defvar custom-local-buffer nil
     "Non-nil, in a Customization buffer, means customize a specific
buffer.

* Re: Verbosity patch for custom-load-symbol
@ 2006-04-22 12:03 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-04-22 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Here is a little patch for custom.el which prevents it from
    displaying unnecessary messages that can be confusing at times (e.g.

Why do you think that hiding the loading message is important?
Is there some reason it is particularly confusing?

Why does it load files in order to save options?
That seems like something we ought to be able to avoid.
I would not want to change this before the release,
since it is not urgent to change; but after the release
maybe we can get rid of this.

* Re: Verbosity patch for custom-load-symbol
@ 2006-04-22 13:27   ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2006-04-22 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22 Apr 2006, at 13:03, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     Here is a little patch for custom.el which prevents it from
>     displaying unnecessary messages that can be confusing at times
> (e.g.
>
> Why do you think that hiding the loading message is important?
> Is there some reason it is particularly confusing?

Yes - it's information overload. Giving the user information they
don't need is never a good idea, unless your product needs to be
debugged and informational messages are important.

I was actually asked why something like "battery" is loaded when
they're just saving options.

Calls to `require' don't show a "loaded.." message, so why should
`custom-load-symbol' do so?

> Why does it load files in order to save options?

`custom-load-symbol' is called for every saved variable by `customize-
mark-to-save', I believe in order to load its default. That was a fix
for a bug that I reported a while ago.

revision 1.122
date: 2006-02-20 15:59:51 +0000;  author: cyd;  state: Exp;  lines:
+2 -0
	* custom.el (customize-mark-to-save, customize-mark-as-set): Load
	the symbol first.

* Re: Verbosity patch for custom-load-symbol
@ 2006-04-23 12:42     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-04-23 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Calls to `require' don't show a "loaded.." message, so why should
    `custom-load-symbol' do so?

That seems like a valid argument.  Ok, please do it.

    `custom-load-symbol' is called for every saved variable by `customize-
    mark-to-save', I believe in order to load its default. That was a fix
    for a bug that I reported a while ago.

Now I think I remember the reason.