* Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-17  0:56 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-04-17  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

As far as I can see, all we need to do before we start pretesting is

1. fix the recently reported bugs
2. update the copyright notices (all files need 2006)
3. check a few manual files:

     anti.texi   glossary.texi   macos.texi
     maintaining.texi   misc.texi   msdog.texi  trouble.texi

and some of the tasks from the start of FOR-RELEASE.

** update facemenu-unlisted-faces.

** Regenerate the postscript files of the reference cards in etc.

** Ask maintainers of refcard translations to update them.

** Check what should be deleted or updated in MORE.STUFF.

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-17  8:01 ` Ramprasad B
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ramprasad B @ 2006-04-17  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

 >  2. update the copyright notices (all files need 2006)

 1. Do we have to add `2006' also for a file which hasn't been edited in 2006 ?
 2. If a file has 2001 copyright year, how is 2006 copyright year added ?
     Is it like 2001, 2006 or 2001-2006 or 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 ?

 Thanks.
 --
 Ramprasad B

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-17  8:37   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-04-17  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

> Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 01:01:58 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Ramprasad B <ramprasad_i82@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>  >  2. update the copyright notices (all files need 2006)
>
>  1. Do we have to add `2006' also for a file which hasn't been edited in 2006 ?

Yes.

>  2. If a file has 2001 copyright year, how is 2006 copyright year added ?
>      Is it like 2001, 2006 or 2001-2006 or 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 ?

I think just add 2006, but please wait for Richard to give the
definitive answer.

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-18  1:42   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-04-18  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

     1. Do we have to add `2006' also for a file which hasn't been edited in 2006 ?

Yes.  All files should list 2006.

     2. If a file has 2001 copyright year, how is 2006 copyright year added ?
	 Is it like 2001, 2006 or 2001-2006 or 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 ?

All the files have 2005, now, don't they?
Do you see any file which lacks 2005 in its copyright notice?

So you just have to add 2006 at the end.

There should be a function copyright-update which does this job.

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-18 17:31 ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-04-18 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> As far as I can see, all we need to do before we start pretesting is

> and some of the tasks from the start of FOR-RELEASE.

    ** Ensure MH-E 8.0 has been released.
    Assigned to Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>.

Inches (centimeters) away. I'm down to two more tasks.

> ** Check what should be deleted or updated in MORE.STUFF.

Wasn't aware of this file. Added URL for MH-E.

I'm glad to hear we're getting close!

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-19  3:54     ` Ramprasad B
From: Ramprasad B @ 2006-04-19  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

--- Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> Yes.  All files should list 2006.

Ok.

> All the files have 2005, now, don't they?
> Do you see any file which lacks 2005 in its copyright notice?

Yes. Many, like in emacs/admin -> admin.el,  alloc-colors.c, etc.

> There should be a function copyright-update which does this job.

Will do that.

Thanks.

--
Ramprasad B

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-19 15:40       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-04-19 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    > All the files have 2005, now, don't they?
    > Do you see any file which lacks 2005 in its copyright notice?

    Yes. Many, like in emacs/admin -> admin.el,  alloc-colors.c, etc.

The admin directory is not terribly important, since it isn't part of
the release.

It also is not very big, so it would not be hard to fix the files in it.
So how about if you fix them too?

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-19 17:02 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2006-04-19 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Hi, Richard, Hi, all!

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006, Richard Stallman wrote:

>As far as I can see, all we need to do before we start pretesting is

>1. fix the recently reported bugs
>2. update the copyright notices (all files need 2006)
>3. check a few manual files:

I'm struggling somewhat to get CC Mode in a presentable state.  I'm
getting a steady trickle of syntax analysis bugs at bug-cc-mode (e.g.,
the "DEFUN" problem) which I'm fixing at about the same rate they're
coming in at.  Thanks to Michaël Cadilhac[*] for sending a patch in with
"his" bug!  I currently have two or three such bugs pending at the moment
(I've lost count).

[*] He tells me his copyright assignment papers are currently being
processed.

Besides these, there are some issues with connecting CC Mode up with
Emacs 22:  Foremost amongst them are:

(i) Fixing the submode indicators (the "/la" of "C/la" on the mode line)
so that their doc-string is displayed when the mouse hovers over them.

(ii) Writing font-lock-expand-region functions, one for CC Mode as a
whole (to replace (setq font-lock-lines-before 2)) and one for AWK Mode
(to replace the advising of the Font Lock after-change functions).

(iii) Tracking down the "CC Mode loads CL" problem.  (I've made good
progress on this).

(iv) A problem in Emacs (See: Subject: Problem mit symlinks,
locate-library and load-history.  Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2006).  This is
caused by (a) load-history storing a promiscuous mix of true file names
and file names containing symbolic links; (b) eval-after-load only
recognising files as being already loaded if they're the ones currently
showing on load-path.  I've half-solved this problem by writing a
function to search load-history properly, which I posted to emacs-devel.
Richard tentatively approved it.  Would it be possible to define
load-history such that all file names in it are true names?

Of these, I could use help for (i) and (iv); (ii) is fairly trivial,
(iii) is something it is best for me to do.

There are also several relatively minor issues, some of which I've
reported to emacs-devel, some of which other people have reported to
bug-cc-mode, which haven't been addressed yet.

I feel a bit like the wet blanket at a party at the moment.  I'm not
going to get all of these things finished this week, or even next week.
Maybe the week after.  Sorry.

Richard, when do you envisage going into pretest?

--
Alan.

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-19 21:23   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-04-19 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

> (ii) Writing font-lock-expand-region functions, one for CC Mode as a
> whole (to replace (setq font-lock-lines-before 2)) and one for AWK Mode
> (to replace the advising of the Font Lock after-change functions).

BTW, I still intend to move font-lock-extend-region-function from
after-change-functions to font-lock-fontify-region (or maybe even
jit-lock-fontify).

So if you really manage to use the current font-lock-extend-region-function
(called from after-change-functions) in a way that's robust, efficient, and
can't be done as efficiently/elegantly/robustly with a hook in
font-lock-fontify-region (or with the font-lock-multiline property),
please scream.

> (iv) A problem in Emacs (See: Subject: Problem mit symlinks,
> locate-library and load-history.  Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2006).  This is
> caused by (a) load-history storing a promiscuous mix of true file names
> and file names containing symbolic links; (b) eval-after-load only
> recognising files as being already loaded if they're the ones currently
> showing on load-path.  I've half-solved this problem by writing a
> function to search load-history properly, which I posted to emacs-devel.
> Richard tentatively approved it.  Would it be possible to define
> load-history such that all file names in it are true names?

As mentioned in that thread, I think it's better to "truify" names
on-the-fly when you need it rather than directly inside load-history.

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-19 21:30     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-04-19 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alan Mackenzie, Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

> As mentioned in that thread, I think it's better to "truify" names
> on-the-fly when you need it rather than directly inside
> load-history.

Uh, but the truification has to happen when loading, anyway.  One
should not replicate the operation unnecessarily at load time, true,
but since the info has to be generated anyway, one could think about
how to make it accessible without additional overhead.

If I am completely bonkers, do have a pointer to that thread?

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-20  1:14   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-04-20  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    (iii) Tracking down the "CC Mode loads CL" problem.  (I've made good
    progress on this).

I sent you some info about it yesterday.

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-20  5:23         ` Ramprasad B
From: Ramprasad B @ 2006-04-20  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

 > The admin directory is not terribly important, since it isn't part of
 > the release.

 Ok.

 > So how about if you fix them too?

 Yes fixed emacs/admin completely and fixing some more too.

 Thanks.
 --
 Ramprasad B

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-20  9:39 Ramprasad B
From: Ramprasad B @ 2006-04-20  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

 > 2. update the copyright notices (all files need 2006)

 Done completely for `sources/emacs'.

 > 3. check a few manual files:
 >     anti.texi   glossary.texi   macos.texi
 >     maintaining.texi   misc.texi   msdog.texi  trouble.texi

 Done, but still someone else has to recheck.

 > ** Check what should be deleted or updated in MORE.STUFF.

 Updated links  / contents.

 If any mistake has been done, please write to me so that i can correct them.

 Thanks
 --
 Ramprasad B

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-04-20 10:54 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-04-20 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Apr 17 2006, Richard Stallman wrote:

> 3. check a few manual files:
>
>      anti.texi   glossary.texi   macos.texi
>      maintaining.texi   misc.texi   msdog.texi  trouble.texi

xresources.texi is missing here.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-20 19:38 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-04-20 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

     > 2. update the copyright notices (all files need 2006)

     Done completely for `sources/emacs'.

Thanks very much.

     > 3. check a few manual files:
     >     anti.texi   glossary.texi   macos.texi
     >     maintaining.texi   misc.texi   msdog.texi  trouble.texi

     Done, but still someone else has to recheck.

Those files were already checked once, so your check makes twice.  And
I reread the whole manual, too.  I think this is enough checking
for the Emacs Manual.

I will recheck your changes when I see the diffs come through.

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-20 21:35       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-04-20 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alan Mackenzie, Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

> Uh, but the truification has to happen when loading, anyway.

No, AFAIK "truification" doesn't currently happen at load time.

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-20 21:37         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-04-20 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alan Mackenzie, Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

>> Uh, but the truification has to happen when loading, anyway.
>
> No, AFAIK "truification" doesn't currently happen at load time.

I would consider it surprising if Emacs was able to load files without
finding out where they are.

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-20 21:44           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-04-20 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alan Mackenzie, Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

>>> Uh, but the truification has to happen when loading, anyway.
>> No, AFAIK "truification" doesn't currently happen at load time.
> I would consider it surprising if Emacs was able to load files without
> finding out where they are.

I'd be surprised if you didn't know that if "/foo" is a symlink to "/bar",
Emacs doesn't need to know it in order to load "/foo/toto/titi.elc", i.e. it
doesn't need to first convert it to "/bar/toto/titi.elc".
There must some kind of of misunderstanding.

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-20 21:46             ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-04-20 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alan Mackenzie, Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

>>> No, AFAIK "truification" doesn't currently happen at load time.
>> I would consider it surprising if Emacs was able to load files without
>> finding out where they are.
>
> I'd be surprised if you didn't know that if "/foo" is a symlink to
> "/bar", Emacs doesn't need to know it in order to load
> "/foo/toto/titi.elc", i.e. it doesn't need to first convert it to
> "/bar/toto/titi.elc".  There must some kind of of misunderstanding.

I probably confused the issue with making file names absolute or
resolving them in load-path.

Sorry,

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-20 22:50             ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2006-04-20 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> No, AFAIK "truification" doesn't currently happen at load time.
>> I would consider it surprising if Emacs was able to load files without
>> finding out where they are.

>I'd be surprised if you didn't know that if "/foo" is a symlink to "/bar",
>Emacs doesn't need to know it in order to load "/foo/toto/titi.elc", i.e. it
>doesn't need to first convert it to "/bar/toto/titi.elc".
>There must some kind of of misunderstanding.

Emacs DOES need to know, every time it evaluates an eval-after-load.

For example, if this form is evaluated:

    (eval-after-load "/mnt/hda7/emacs/lisp/cc-fonts.elc" '(...))

and load-history has as one of its elements

    ("/home/acm/emacs/emacs/lisp/cc-fonts.elc" ....), ; a symlink

then each stored file name must be truified at _every_ eval-after-load.

--
Alan.

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-21  0:10   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-04-21  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    xresources.texi is missing here.

I think we will move most or all of that out of the Emacs manual.
It is not necessary for editing with Emacs.

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-21  5:46     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-04-21  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Reiner Steib, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     xresources.texi is missing here.
>
> I think we will move most or all of that out of the Emacs manual.
> It is not necessary for editing with Emacs.

I strongly disagree.  The X resources (and equivalents) are the only
way to specify startup fonts and geometry in a way that makes them
work on Emacs startup such that the window manager has a chance to
accommodate them.

X resources and startup options are so important that they are one of
the few things mentioned in man pages of programs even when separate
and more elaborate info pages exist.

* Re: Last steps for pretesting
@ 2006-04-24 17:52   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-04-24 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Richard, when do you envisage going into pretest?

It's a matter of fixing the pending bugs.