* [rahed@e-last-minute.com: -*- construct on the second line doesn't work on ntemacs]
@ 2005-10-13 20:10 Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-10-13 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Would someone who uses Windows see if this is still broken?

From: "rahed" <rahed@e-last-minute.com>
To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 22:08:56 +0200
Subject: -*- construct on the second line doesn't work on ntemacs
Sender: bug-gnu-emacs-bounces+rms=gnu.org@gnu.org

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English, because the Emacs maintainers do not have
translators to read other languages for them.

and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

In GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2004-03-10 on NYAUMO
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.2)'
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

Putting # -*-coding: utf-8;-*- construct on the second line with
shebang #! on the first line is ineffective. The file preserves its
default coding when loaded in the buffer. Verified that it works with
emacs on Solaris but not on WXP.

Radek

* Re: [rahed@e-last-minute.com: -*- construct on the second line doesn't work on ntemacs]
@ 2005-10-13 20:50 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-10-13 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Richard M. Stallman" <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Would someone who uses Windows see if this is still broken?

> Putting # -*-coding: utf-8;-*- construct on the second line with
> shebang #! on the first line is ineffective.

It seems to work now.

Trying to save such a file produces a warning about the coding tag not
matching buffer-file-coding-system:

   Selected encoding iso-latin-1-dos disagrees with utf-8-dos
   specified by file contents.  Really save (else edit coding cookies
   and try again)? (y or n)

I don't like this message for two reasons:

1. It is not clear what will happen if I press y. Will the file be saved
   as iso-latin-1 or utf-8?

2. It suggests editing the coding cookies, but if I have just created
   a new file and added a coding cookie, it is more likely that the
   coding cookie is correct, and it is buffer-file-coding-system that I
   want to change.

I think it might be better to not display this message at all if all
the characters in the buffer can be encoded in the coding-system
specified in the coding tag. If the file had a coding tag before it
was read, then the buffer-file-coding-system will have been set
appropriately. So the only case where this can happen is when the user
(or lisp code) adds such a cookie themselves, in which case they will
always want to save the buffer in the encoding they specifed.

* Re: [rahed@e-last-minute.com: -*- construct on the second line doesn't work on ntemacs]
@ 2005-10-14 17:36   ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-10-14 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    > Putting # -*-coding: utf-8;-*- construct on the second line with
    > shebang #! on the first line is ineffective.

    It seems to work now.

Thanks for checking.

I asked Handa to look at the other issue.