* Is tooltip-mode STANDARD on or off?
@ 2005-07-24 22:44 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-07-24 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I see something very strange here with the standard value of
tooltip-mode. With emacs -Q customize shows that tooltip-mode is off and
that this is STANDARD. With emacs -q --no-site-file it is on and this is
STANDARD.

Should not -Q === -q --no-site-file?

* Re: Is tooltip-mode STANDARD on or off?
@ 2005-07-24 23:39 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-07-24 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> Should not -Q === -q --no-site-file?

No. -Q is -q --no-site-file with some UI features turned off. I
thought it was more than just tooltips, but I don't see anything else
right now (toolbar, menu bar, scrollbars and fringe are all still
there). I'm not sure why "emacs --help" says it is equivalent to -q
--no-site-file when it is not.

* Re: Is tooltip-mode STANDARD on or off?
@ 2005-07-24 23:46   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-07-24 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Jason Rumney wrote:

>Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:
>

>>Should not -Q === -q --no-site-file?
>>

>No. -Q is -q --no-site-file with some UI features turned off. I
>thought it was more than just tooltips, but I don't see anything else
>right now (toolbar, menu bar, scrollbars and fringe are all still
>there). I'm not sure why "emacs --help" says it is equivalent to -q
>--no-site-file when it is not.

There are three variants:

1) emacs --help
2) Info
3) how it actually behaves

* Re: Is tooltip-mode STANDARD on or off?
@ 2005-07-25  0:22     ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2005-07-25  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, jasonr

Lennart Borgman wrote:

   There are three variants:

   1) emacs --help
   2) Info
   3) how it actually behaves

I believe that the Emacs manual (which is probably what you mean by
"Info") describes the intended behavior, whereas `emacs --help'
slightly oversimplifies it, which might be deliberate since the
disabling of the startup screen can be considered a minor detail and
`emacs --help' needs to be reasonably concise.

I believe that the fact that Tooltip Mode is disabled after emacs -Q,
whereas it is enabled after emacs -q -D is due to an oversight when the
original emacs -Q got split into the new emacs -Q and emacs -D.  I
believe that the intended behavior is exactly opposite and that the
patch below, which implements the opposite behavior should be installed.
(I can do this if desired.)  Note that emacs-quick-startup is set by
-Q, whereas emacs-basic-display is set by -D.

===File ~/tooltip.el-diff===================================
*** tooltip.el	13 Jul 2005 19:24:28 -0500	1.63
--- tooltip.el	24 Jul 2005 18:30:52 -0500
***************
*** 159,165 ****
  With ARG, turn tooltip mode on if and only if ARG is positive."
    :global t
    :init-value (not (or noninteractive
! 		       emacs-quick-startup
  		       (not (display-graphic-p))
  		       (not (fboundp 'x-show-tip))))
    :initialize 'custom-initialize-safe-default
--- 159,165 ----
  With ARG, turn tooltip mode on if and only if ARG is positive."
    :global t
    :init-value (not (or noninteractive
! 		       emacs-basic-display

@ 2005-07-25 13:10   ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-07-25 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lennart.borgman.073, emacs-devel

    No. -Q is -q --no-site-file with some UI features turned off. I
    thought it was more than just tooltips, but I don't see anything else
    right now (toolbar, menu bar, scrollbars and fringe are all still
    there). I'm not sure why "emacs --help" says it is equivalent to -q
    --no-site-file when it is not.

Because there was a bug.  That's the usual reason.

It is fixed now.

From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-07-25 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lennart.borgman.073, jasonr, emacs-devel

    believe that the intended behavior is exactly opposite and that the
    patch below, which implements the opposite behavior should be installed.

Yes, that's the right fix.  As it happens I made the same fix
after I saw the other message, so it is already installed.
But thanks anyway.