* [Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE: popd in tcsh fails]
@ 2005-07-24 21:14 Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-07-24 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can someone please look at this, then ack to me?

To: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org
From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:36:11 +0200
Subject: popd in tcsh fails
Sender: emacs-pretest-bug-bounces+rms=gnu.org@gnu.org

Hello!

I am using tcsh 6.12.00 in *shell* mode and GNU Emacs does not seem to
understand popd, i.e. after a popd in *shell* file name completion or
dired start with the directory that was before my working directory.
These variables are customized:

	 '(comint-completion-recexact t)
	 '(comint-input-ignoredups t)
	 '(comint-input-ring-file-name ".emacs.d/history")
	 '(comint-prompt-regexp "^[a-z]+ [0-9]+ /\\\\ " t)
	 '(comint-use-prompt-regexp nil)
	 '(shell-cd-regexp "[cp]d")
	 '(shell-dirtrack-verbose nil)
	 '(shell-pushd-regexp "p(ush|)d")

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
   display-time-mode: t
   mouse-sel-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   desktop-save-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   next-error-follow-minor-mode:  Fol

- --
Greetings

   Pete

build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying
to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
                                                           -- Rich Cook

* [Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE: popd in tcsh fails]
@ 2005-08-08 12:09 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-08-08 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

[I sent this message two weeks ago but did not get a response.]

Can someone please look at this, then ack to me?

To: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org
From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:36:11 +0200
Sender: emacs-pretest-bug-bounces+rms=gnu.org@gnu.org

* RE: [Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE: popd in tcsh fails]
@ 2005-08-08 13:22 Dhruva Krishnamurthy (RBIN/EDI3) *
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy (RBIN/EDI3) * @ 2005-08-08 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Hello,
	I do not know what exactly needs to be tested. However, I did
the following.

1. Usng CVS Emacs on SOLARIS
2. tcsh 6.11.00 Version
3. I enabled the customized variables. Not the minor-modes and other
locale info (I do not know how to set those stuff)
4. Set "tcsh" as default shell

Case 1:
1. Invoked "shell" and got into "tcsh" shell in Emacs
2. Changed into some folder
3. Did a "pushd ."
4. Changed to some other folder
5. Did a "popd"
6. I got back to the folder what I had done a "pushd". This is as
expected

Case 2:
1. Invoked "shell" and got into "tcsh" shell in Emacs
2. Changed into some folder ex: /home/blah/bin
3. Did a "pushd /home/blah/stub/src/"
4. The PWD is "/home/blah/stub/src/"
4. Changed to some other folder
5. Did a "popd"
6. I go to "/home/blah/bin"
7. The same happens in a tcsh in console window and also BASH shell.

What am I missing in my testing?

-dk

@ 2005-08-08 13:50 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-08-08 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Peter_Dyballa, rms, emacs-devel

"Dhruva Krishnamurthy (RBIN/EDI3) *" <Dhruva.Krishnamurthy@in.bosch.com> writes:

> 	I do not know what exactly needs to be tested. However, I did
> the following.
>
> 1. Usng CVS Emacs on SOLARIS
> 2. tcsh 6.11.00 Version
> 3. I enabled the customized variables. Not the minor-modes and other
> locale info (I do not know how to set those stuff)
> 4. Set "tcsh" as default shell
>
> Case 1:
> 1. Invoked "shell" and got into "tcsh" shell in Emacs
> 2. Changed into some folder
> 3. Did a "pushd ."
> 4. Changed to some other folder
> 5. Did a "popd"
> 6. I got back to the folder what I had done a "pushd". This is as
> expected
>
> Case 2:
> 1. Invoked "shell" and got into "tcsh" shell in Emacs
> 2. Changed into some folder ex: /home/blah/bin
> 3. Did a "pushd /home/blah/stub/src/"
> 4. The PWD is "/home/blah/stub/src/"
> 4. Changed to some other folder
> 5. Did a "popd"
> 6. I go to "/home/blah/bin"
> 7. The same happens in a tcsh in console window and also BASH shell.
>
> What am I missing in my testing?

Whether Emacs' idea of the current directory agrees with that of the
shell.  This is important, for example, for path completion.  You can
check by using C-x C-f and see whether Emacs offers the now current
directory as the default.

* Re: [Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE: popd in tcsh fails]
@ 2005-08-08 13:57 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-08-08 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Am 08.08.2005 um 15:22 schrieb Dhruva Krishnamurthy (RBIN/EDI3) *:

> What am I missing in my testing?

Could be there is a problem with aliases in tcsh. I have herited a few
from an old rc file in Mac OS X 10.1 or such:

	.       pwd
	..      cd ..
	cd..    cd ..
	cwd     echo $cwd
	pd      pushd

I haven't learned the first three by heart, so they're seldomly used.

Look here:

	pete 151 /\ pete 152 /\ pete 153 /\ dirs
	~/Library/texmf/Arbeit
	pete 154 /\ .
	/Users/pete/Library/texmf/Arbeit
	pete 155 /\ pd Summa/
	~/Library/texmf/Arbeit/Summa ~/Library/texmf/Arbeit
	pete 156 /\ dirs
	~/Library/texmf/Arbeit/Summa ~/Library/texmf/Arbeit
	pete 157 /\ pd 02
	~/Library/texmf/Arbeit/Summa/02 ~/Library/texmf/Arbeit/Summa
~/Library/texmf/Arbeit
	pete 158 /\ pd ../10
	~/Library/texmf/Arbeit/Summa/10 ~/Library/texmf/Arbeit/Summa/02
~/Library/texmf/Arbeit/Summa\
	~/Library/texmf/Arbeit
	pete 159 /\ pd +2
	~/Library/texmf/Arbeit/Summa ~/Library/texmf/Arbeit/Summa/10
~/Library/texmf/Arbeit/Summa/02\
	~/Library/texmf/Arbeit
	pete 160 /\

And when I now type C-x d, Emacs is not going to dired Summa but 10!

The shell starts with three prompts because of my .emacs_tcsh file:

	unsetenv CLICOLOR
	set path=($path /usr/local/bin
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Got Mole problems?
Call Avogadro 6.02 x 10^23

* [Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE: popd in tcsh fails]
@ 2005-08-23  1:28 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-08-23  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

[I sent this message twice before but did not get a response.]

Can someone please look at this, then ack to me?

To: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org
From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:36:11 +0200
Sender: emacs-pretest-bug-bounces+rms=gnu.org@gnu.org

@ 2005-08-23 18:02 ` Emilio Lopes
From: Emilio Lopes @ 2005-08-23 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Peter_Dyballa

Richard Stallman writes:

> Can someone please look at this, then ack to me?

I started Emacs with this command:

   ./src/emacs --no-init-file --no-site-file -l ~/tcsh-init.el

The file ~/tcsh-init.el contains the following:

   (setq shell-file-name "tcsh")
   (setenv "SHELL" shell-file-name)
   (setq explicit-shell-file-name shell-file-name)

   (setq comint-completion-recexact t)
   (setq comint-input-ignoredups t)
   (setq comint-input-ring-file-name ".emacs.d/foo_history")
   (setq comint-prompt-regexp "^[a-z]+ [0-9]+ /\\\\ ")
   (setq comint-use-prompt-regexp nil)
   (setq shell-cd-regexp "[cp]d")
   (setq shell-dirtrack-verbose nil)
   (setq shell-pushd-regexp "p(ush|)d")

The first three lines are there to convince shell-mode to start `tcsh'
as the default shell.  The rest are variables customized by original
bug reporter.

My first test was to issue a "pushd /etc" and see if a "C-x C-f" would
offer me that directory as the default one.  Test failed.  Emacs is
not even recognizing "pushd"s.

So I noted that the customization of `shell-pushd-regexp' (see above)
is bogus.  I changed that to

   (setq shell-pushd-regexp "p\\(ush\\|\\)d")

and tried some "pushd"s and "popd"s again.  Emacs seems to correctly
keep track of the working directory now.

The problem was not tcsh specific AFAICT.

* Re: [Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE: popd in tcsh fails]
@ 2005-08-23 18:41   ` Emilio Lopes
From: Emilio Lopes @ 2005-08-23 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emilio Lopes writes:

[...]

> So I noted that the customization of `shell-pushd-regexp' (see
> above) is bogus.  I changed that to

>    (setq shell-pushd-regexp "p\\(ush\\|\\)d")

> and tried some "pushd"s and "popd"s again.  Emacs seems to correctly
> keep track of the working directory now.

BTW, I've just got an e-mail from Peter Dyballa acknowledging that
this was indeed the problem.

* Re: [Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE: popd in tcsh fails]
@ 2005-08-24 10:32   ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-08-24 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Peter_Dyballa, emacs-devel

    So I noted that the customization of `shell-pushd-regexp' (see above)
    is bogus.  I changed that to

       (setq shell-pushd-regexp "p\\(ush\\|\\)d")

It looks like this isn't an Emacs bug.  Thanks for investigating it.