Start todays emacs with -Q and set scroll-conservatively to some non-zero number, say 1. Then type eg. M-x ABC. Now the minibuffer shows "M-x ABC" as expected. But if you type the Danish character A-ring (a capital A with a ring above) everything seems to disappear from the minibuffer. I tried this under X, using the Emacs input method Latin-1-Postfix to insert the Å, and the failure happened. What occurred was that the minibuffer contents all scrolled off the top of the window. I think the reason for this is that the Å character is taller than ordinary letters; taller, in fact, than the height of the window. I think this confuses scrolling calculations so that they believe that character doesn't fit on the screen while allowing point to be visible. Kim, could you investigate this and fix it?