* Re: [id.brep@gmail.com: x-clipboard-yank doesn't decode utf-8 string]
       [not found] <E1DgXAu-0006aF-PF@fencepost.gnu.org>
@ 2005-06-10  1:53 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2005-06-10  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: id.brep

In article <E1DgXAu-0006aF-PF@fencepost.gnu.org>, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
> Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 00:57:06 +0800
> From: Zhang Wei <id.brep@gmail.com>
> To: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org
> Subject: x-clipboard-yank doesn't decode utf-8 string
[...]
> When I select some text from Mozilla-firefox using left mouse
> button, but without issuing cut/copy command explicitly, then I paste
> in emacs with middle mouse button or C-y, everything is OK,
> which means the X PRIMARY selection method works fine.

> But if I issue cut/copy command explicitly after
> selection (select Edit/copy from Mozilla-firefox's menu, or C-c),
> and then paste in emacs using Edit/paste menu item, what I got is
> undecoded utf string, something like this "\u60a8\u4e0a\u6b21",
> it seems that the X CLIPBOARD selection method does not work.

> The following patch could fix this problem, but I'm not sure if
> it is the best way.

> - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *** x-win.el    2005-05-30 02:44:48.000000000 +0800
> - --- x-win.el.new        2005-06-08 23:38:30.330605432 +0800
> ***************
> *** 2446,2452 ****
>     (interactive)

>     (let ((clipboard-text
>          (condition-case nil
> !            (x-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD)
>            (error nil)))
>         (x-select-enable-clipboard t))
>       (if (and clipboard-text (> (length clipboard-text) 0))
> - --- 2446,2452 ----
>     (interactive)
>     (let ((clipboard-text
>          (condition-case nil
> !            (x-selection-value 'CLIPBOARD)
>            (error nil)))
>         (x-select-enable-clipboard t))
>       (if (and clipboard-text (> (length clipboard-text) 0))
> - ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the report.  As it seems that the patch is
correct, I've just installed it.

But, the above is a change to x-clipboard-yank and it seems
that this function was introduced on 21 Jan 2004 (strangely
that fact is not in ChangeLog).  At that time
x-selection-value was already there.  That means there will
be some reason for x-clipboard-yank not using
x-selection-value.  Does anybody know who wrote it?  If you
are the author, could you please confirm that the change
doesn't break your intention?

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: [id.brep@gmail.com: x-clipboard-yank doesn't decode utf-8 string]
@ 2005-06-10  5:12   ` jhd
From: jhd @ 2005-06-10  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: id.brep, rms, emacs-devel

> But, the above is a change to x-clipboard-yank and it seems
> that this function was introduced on 21 Jan 2004 (strangely
> that fact is not in ChangeLog).  At that time
> x-selection-value was already there.  That means there will
> be some reason for x-clipboard-yank not using
> x-selection-value.  Does anybody know who wrote it?  If you
> are the author, could you please confirm that the change
> doesn't break your intention?

The change occured 21 Jan 2004 and is in the ChangeLog:

2004-01-21  Jan Djärv  <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>

         * term/x-win.el: Call menu-bar-enable-clipboard and make Paste
         use clipboard first.

I probably did not know what x-selection-value does, as it is not
documented.

     Jan D.

* Re: [id.brep@gmail.com: x-clipboard-yank doesn't decode utf-8 string]
@ 2005-06-10  5:40     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2005-06-10  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: id.brep, rms, emacs-devel

In article <FBA8D0E3-019B-452C-9BE4-10068E61BB00@swipnet.se>, jhd <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

> The change occured 21 Jan 2004 and is in the ChangeLog:

> 2004-01-21  Jan Djärv  <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>

>          * term/x-win.el: Call menu-bar-enable-clipboard and make Paste
>          use clipboard first.

Ah, I see.  I only grepped "x-clipboard-yank".

> I probably did not know what x-selection-value does, as it is not
> documented.

As I made it just as a helper function of
x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value, I didn't put docstring.
But, although I thought I put a comment on it, I've just
noticed that the comment doesn't exist in the current
source.  Hmmm, perhaps, I made some mistake at the time of
committing it.  I'm sorry for making you confused.

I've just added a comment on x-selection-value, and removed
condition-case wrapping in x-clipboard-yank because that is
done' in x-selection-value.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: [id.brep@gmail.com: x-clipboard-yank doesn't decode utf-8 string]
@ 2005-06-10 22:36     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-06-10 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: id.brep, emacs-devel, handa

    The change occured 21 Jan 2004 and is in the ChangeLog:

    2004-01-21  Jan Djärv  <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>

	     * term/x-win.el: Call menu-bar-enable-clipboard and make Paste
	     use clipboard first.

Would you please edit that to itemize the specific functions that were
changed?

* Re: [id.brep@gmail.com: x-clipboard-yank doesn't decode utf-8 string]
@ 2005-06-11  5:41       ` jhd
From: jhd @ 2005-06-11  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: id.brep, handa, emacs-devel

>     2004-01-21  Jan Djärv  <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>
>
>          * term/x-win.el: Call menu-bar-enable-clipboard and make
> Paste
>          use clipboard first.
>
> Would you please edit that to itemize the specific functions that were
> changed?

Done.

     Jan D.