* How to browse widget (and other similar things)
@ 2005-02-10 23:11 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-02-10 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have found it difficult and time consuming to browse the code in cus*.el
and wid*.el. The code is surely complicated (at least I think it is) so it
is no surprise. However I wonder if I am missing something. Is there an easy
way to find out what is going to happen when a widget is created? Could
there even be one? Any suggestion on how to read code of that sort? (I mean
partly OO, dynamic scoping etc.)

* Re: How to browse widget (and other similar things)
@ 2005-02-11 14:41 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2005-02-11 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> I have found it difficult and time consuming to browse the code in cus*.el
> and wid*.el. The code is surely complicated (at least I think it is) so it
> is no surprise. However I wonder if I am missing something. Is there an easy
> way to find out what is going to happen when a widget is created? Could
> there even be one? Any suggestion on how to read code of that sort? (I mean
> partly OO, dynamic scoping etc.)

widget-browse(-at) is an extremely primitive widget class/object
browser, which I find helpful.  It could obviously be improved a lot.

-- Per

* Re: How to browse widget (and other similar things)
@ 2005-02-12  8:37 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-02-12  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Is there an easy
    way to find out what is going to happen when a widget is created? Could
    there even be one? Any suggestion on how to read code of that sort? (I mean
    partly OO, dynamic scoping etc.)

I have found that code very hard to understand, and I too would appreciate
better explanations of how it works.

* Re: How to browse widget (and other similar things)
@ 2005-02-12 11:06   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-02-12 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk>
> Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:41:07 +0100
>
> widget-browse(-at) is an extremely primitive widget class/object
> browser, which I find helpful.

FWIW, widget.texi has a section about these widget-browsing features.