A function in AUCTeX for doing indentation looks at whitespace syntax for finding the first non-whitespace character (and so does `back-to-indentation' in CVS Emacs). That means it will skip the "Ü" and delete everything from the beginning of the line to and including the "Ü". I removed this code in CVS AUCTeX which now only uses `back-to-indentation'. In Emacs 21.3 this function does not look at character syntax but simply skips spaces and tab characters at the beginning of a line. If AucTeX specifically wants to skip just space and tab, it could do that explicitly, rather than calling back-to-indentation. That would work in the latest Emacs. We could look at trying to fix this by giving different syntax values to the unibyte non-ASCII codes. The problem is that (I think) different non-ASCII coding systems would want different syntax values. However, making codes 200-377 all "word constituent" might be better than making them all "whitespace".