* Is it intended to change hook names to follow coding conventions?
@ 2004-11-22 17:15 CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2004-11-22 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reading Coding Conventions, I understand that hook names with -hooks and
-functions are obselete in favor of -hook and -function.  I just wanna
know if it's intended to change these names to following this convention
for next release. If so, I can spend some time to make diffs. Otherwise
I wont bother to waste time here.

--
这去者,不能见他的脸,背影模糊。

* Re: Is it intended to change hook names to follow coding conventions?
@ 2004-11-22 20:57 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2004-11-22 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> writes:

   wanna know if it's intended to change these names to following
   this convention for next release

each change has to be considered on a case-by-case basis, w/
awareness of historical context.  for example, things that have a
lot of "area under the curve" (integrating usage over time) are
probably not good candidates for capricious change, if you wish to
save time later for hacking instead of for handling bug reports.
however, even for these kinds of things, there may be indeed be
circumstances where a hard break w/ the past accompanied by an
upward compatable alternative is worth the temporary pain.

intent is foreground, but you want to paint a nice scene, which
includes both foreground and background.  finding the background
of things is not an unpleasant way to hone your craft.

thi

* Re: Is it intended to change hook names to follow coding conventions?
@ 2004-11-24  2:26 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-11-24  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Reading Coding Conventions, I understand that hook names with -hooks and
    -functions are obselete in favor of -hook and -function.  I just wanna
    know if it's intended to change these names to following this convention
    for next release.

There are only a few of these, and before we can change any of them,
we need to look at each one specifically to decide what to do.

* Re: Is it intended to change hook names to follow coding conventions?
@ 2004-11-24 15:34   ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2004-11-24 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

In files.el,
`write-file-hooks is defined as alias for `write-file-functions.
`find-file-not-found-hooks is defined as alias for `find-file-not-found-functions.
`find-file-hooks is defined as alias for `find-file-hook.

They are all explicitly marked as obselete.

I think at least it's safe to fix all occurences of them to use new
convention-conformant names.

Just my 0.02 RMB Yuan.

--
酌贪泉而觉爽,处涸辙以犹欢

* Re: Is it intended to change hook names to follow coding conventions?
@ 2004-11-26 17:21     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-11-26 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    I think at least it's safe to fix all occurences of them to use new
    convention-conformant names.

Maybe many of the uses should be fixed.
However there are some occasions where it is better not to.