* Emacs installer for MS Windows - source available
@ 2004-10-07 23:42 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2004-10-07 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have made the sources for the installation package available temporary on
http://www.student.lu.se/~tps95lbn/Emacs/. (I am waiting for a response from
the savannah admins.)

This is for Emacs 21.3. Maybe it works for the CVS version too, but I am not
sure. I have not tested this yet, I am looking for precompiled binaries for
ms windows to do this. Those I have found so far are from july. I would be
grateful for newer binaries.

For those interested this installation package comes in two flavors. You can
pack it with Emacs binary distribution and you can use it without them as a
setup utility. More info is available in the readme files.

- Lennart

PS: One problem I know of for the CVS version is that I have packed cua.el
with the installation package (since I assume that many would like this
option on ms windows). However a new version of cua.el is needed for the CVS
version of Emacs.

* Re: Emacs installer for MS Windows - source available
@ 2004-10-08  9:01 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2004-10-08  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

"Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> PS: One problem I know of for the CVS version is that I have packed cua.el
> with the installation package (since I assume that many would like this
> option on ms windows). However a new version of cua.el is needed for the CVS
> version of Emacs.

CVS Emacs _includes_ the required cua package, so that's not a concern
as such.

What's worse is that the cua.el (as currently distributed) does not
work with CVS Emacs (as it has backwards incompatible changes to key
parsing) -- so if your installer for CVS Emacs could _remove_ an
existing cua.el during installation, it would be good.

* Re: Emacs installer for MS Windows - source available
@ 2004-10-09 15:45   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-10-09 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lennart.borgman.073, emacs-devel

    What's worse is that the cua.el (as currently distributed) does not
    work with CVS Emacs (as it has backwards incompatible changes to key
    parsing) -- so if your installer for CVS Emacs could _remove_ an
    existing cua.el during installation, it would be good.

In general, when a Lisp package was installed separately already, it
will be outside the directory where Emacs itself is installed, in a
place like /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/.  Installation of
Emacs should not alter that directory.

However, we could have a feature whereby when a file is added to
Emacs, it can specify to ignore that file in site-list.  It could
contain code to do this, like

  ;;;###autoload (ignore-site-list "cua.el")

where ignore-site-list needs to be implemented to control
the search done by load.el.