* Patches for Thai support
@ 2004-09-22  8:18 James Clark
From: James Clark @ 2004-09-22  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

The handling of composite sequences for Thai is overly simplistic as
regards handling of diacritics.  To give just one example, you can't
have a tone mark over a maitaikhu. There's a Thai standard called WTT
2.0 that gives the precise rules.  WTT 2.0 also has some extensions to
the Kesmanee keyboard layout that are fairly universal on keyboard used
Thailand today. There's an English language description of all of this
at:

http://www.nectec.or.th/it-standards/keyboard_layout/thai-key.htm

Attached is a patch against the current CVS Emacs that fixes the Thai
support to match WTT 2.0.  It's only lightly tested.

There are some more fundamental issues with the support for Thai (and
other South and South-East Asian languages that rely heavily on
combining characters).  More about these later.

James
--
To send me mail, replace auth-only by public in the from address.

[-- Attachment #2: emacs-thai.patch.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 5354 bytes --]

* Re: Patches for Thai support
@ 2004-09-22 10:30 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2004-09-22 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <1095841095.7357.439.camel@pineapple.bkk.thaiopensource.com>, James Clark <jjc@auth-only.jclark.com> writes:
> The handling of composite sequences for Thai is overly simplistic as
> regards handling of diacritics.  To give just one example, you can't
> have a tone mark over a maitaikhu. There's a Thai standard called WTT
> 2.0 that gives the precise rules.  WTT 2.0 also has some extensions to
> the Kesmanee keyboard layout that are fairly universal on keyboard used
> Thailand today. There's an English language description of all of this
> at:

> http://www.nectec.or.th/it-standards/keyboard_layout/thai-key.htm

> Attached is a patch against the current CVS Emacs that fixes the Thai
> support to match WTT 2.0.  It's only lightly tested.

Thank you for the contribution.  I'll take a look at it soon
(currently I'm too overloaded).  But, as the patch is not
tiny, we need your assignment paper to adopt it.  Please ask
RMS <rms@gnu.org> about it.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Patches for Thai support
@ 2004-09-22 18:20   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-09-22 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: jjc, emacs-devel

I already sent James the form to request an assignment.