* [jari.aalto@poboxes.com: Re: maybe disable scroll-left]
@ 2004-09-04 22:12 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-09-04 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

What do people think of this idea?  It seems plausible to me.

To: gnu-emacs-bug@moderators.isc.org
From: jari.aalto@poboxes.com
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.bug
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 22:24:09 +0300
Subject: Re: maybe disable scroll-left
Sender: bug-gnu-emacs-bounces+rms=gnu.org@gnu.org

Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> writes:

> I found a keystroke that will leave users jumbled if accidentally hit:
> C-x < runs the command scroll-left.
> Hey man, where'd my text go? Undo, undo, undo... no relief.
> Maybe it's hiding up at the top left corner somewhere? Hitting
> beginning-of-buffer, backwards-char, beginning-of-line won't help.
|
> Maybe "disable" scroll-left.

I second to this. It's quite a surprise for a starter, so it would be
better of disabled.

Jari

* Re: [jari.aalto@poboxes.com: Re: maybe disable scroll-left]
@ 2004-09-05 12:36 ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2004-09-05 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>> I found a keystroke that will leave users jumbled if accidentally hit:
>> C-x < runs the command scroll-left.
>> Hey man, where'd my text go? Undo, undo, undo... no relief.
>> Maybe it's hiding up at the top left corner somewhere? Hitting
>> beginning-of-buffer, backwards-char, beginning-of-line won't help.
>> Maybe "disable" scroll-left.

When I got started with Emacs this freaked me out.  I invariable
killed Emacs, not daring to save (assuming that the file would be
empty).

It took me a long time to learn what actually happened.  I think I
only discovered it when I was actually learning about scroll-left and
scroll-right.  *Then* I realized what had been happening.

An alternative to disabling it would be a message that tells me how to
return to the previous state.  Much like help on something says:

Type M-x switch-to-buffer RET to remove help window.  C-M-v to scroll the help.

We could use a message:

Type M-x scroll-right RET to scroll back to your previous position.

Alex.
--
.O.  http://www.emacswiki.org/alex/
..O  Schroeder's fifth law:

* Re: [jari.aalto@poboxes.com: Re: maybe disable scroll-left]
@ 2004-09-05 22:56 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2004-09-05 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> What do people think of this idea?  It seems plausible to me.

I think it makes very good sense!

Another approach could be to undo left scroll if all lines become
"invisible" doing that...  But that's a bit harder to do.

@ 2004-09-06 22:11   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-09-06 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Ok, I will make scroll-left a disabled command.