* ChangeLog when merging from "upstream"
@ 2004-08-05 21:12 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-08-05 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I want to merge a change from Gnus' repository (committed after
emacs21_4-gnus-5_10-branchpoint) into Emacs (gnus-5_10-branch).

The change in Gnus is dated 2004-08-02.  When I install the changes on
2004-08-06, should it read as follows?

,----
| 2004-08-06  Reiner Steib  <Reiner.Steib@gmx.de>
|
| 	Sync with v5_10 branch:
|
| 2004-08-02  Reiner Steib  <Reiner.Steib@gmx.de>
|
| 	* gnus.el (gnus-group, gnus-summary, gnus-summary-sort): Fix
| 	custom-manual entries.
| [...]
`----

I've seen similar non-monotonic date entries for tramp:

,----
| 2004-07-17  Kai Grossjohann  <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net>
|
| 	Sync with Tramp 2.0.43.
|
| 	* net/tramp.el [...]
|
| 2004-07-13  Michael Albinus  <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
|
| 	* net/tramp.el [...]
|
| 2004-07-17  Jonathan Yavner  <jyavner@member.fsf.org>
|
| 	* emacs-lisp/testcover.el: [...]
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: ChangeLog when merging from "upstream"
@ 2004-08-06  9:14 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-08-06  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de>
> Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 23:12:24 +0200
>
> I want to merge a change from Gnus' repository (committed after
> emacs21_4-gnus-5_10-branchpoint) into Emacs (gnus-5_10-branch).
>
> The change in Gnus is dated 2004-08-02.  When I install the changes on
> 2004-08-06, should it read as follows?
>
> ,----
> | 2004-08-06  Reiner Steib  <Reiner.Steib@gmx.de>
> |
> | 	Sync with v5_10 branch:
> |
> | 2004-08-02  Reiner Steib  <Reiner.Steib@gmx.de>
> |
> | 	* gnus.el (gnus-group, gnus-summary, gnus-summary-sort): Fix
> | 	custom-manual entries.
> | [...]
> `----

No, all the dates should be changed to the date of the commit.

> I've seen similar non-monotonic date entries for tramp:

I think all those should be fixed so that the dates are always
monotonic.

* Re: ChangeLog when merging from "upstream"
@ 2004-08-07 21:20 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-08-07 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    The change in Gnus is dated 2004-08-02.  When I install the changes on
    2004-08-06, should it read as follows?

    ,----
    | 2004-08-06  Reiner Steib  <Reiner.Steib@gmx.de>
    |
    | 	Sync with v5_10 branch:
    |
    | 2004-08-02  Reiner Steib  <Reiner.Steib@gmx.de>
    |
    | 	* gnus.el (gnus-group, gnus-summary, gnus-summary-sort): Fix
    | 	custom-manual entries.
    | [...]
    `----

The whole thing should be dated with the date that you installed it.

By the way, I am not sure whether "Sync with v5_10 branch"
is meant to describe the 8/2 change in gnus.el, or whether they
refer to two different changes.  If the former, they should
be together in one entry, to show they are talking about the same thing.

If the latter, "Sync with v5_10 branch" is not sufficient, because
ChangeLog needs to say what files and functions were changed and how.

* Re: ChangeLog when merging from "upstream"
@ 2004-08-10 19:47   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-08-10 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs development

On Sat, Aug 07 2004, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     The change in Gnus is dated 2004-08-02.  When I install the changes on
>     2004-08-06, should it read as follows?
>
>     ,----
>     | 2004-08-06  Reiner Steib  <Reiner.Steib@gmx.de>
>     | 	Sync with v5_10 branch:
>     | 2004-08-02  Reiner Steib  <Reiner.Steib@gmx.de>
>     | 	* gnus.el (gnus-group, gnus-summary, gnus-summary-sort): Fix
>     | 	custom-manual entries.
>     | [...]
>     `----
>
> The whole thing should be dated with the date that you installed it.

Okay.

> By the way, I am not sure whether "Sync with v5_10 branch"
> is meant to describe the 8/2 change in gnus.el, or whether they
> refer to two different changes.  If the former, they should
> be together in one entry, to show they are talking about the same thing.

The former.

> If the latter, "Sync with v5_10 branch" is not sufficient, because
> ChangeLog needs to say what files and functions were changed and how.

That means that for the importing the v5_10 branch done by Andreas
Schwab (installed on 2004-07-22), we will have to add Gnus'
lisp/ChangeLog in lisp/gnus/ChangeLog.  And there, all dates should be
replaced with 2004-07-22.  Note that the changes from Gnus 5.9 to 5.10
(from the year 2000 upto 2004-07-22) span more than two thousand
entries.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2004-08-11 20:35     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-08-11 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    That means that for the importing the v5_10 branch done by Andreas
    Schwab (installed on 2004-07-22), we will have to add Gnus'
    lisp/ChangeLog in lisp/gnus/ChangeLog.  And there, all dates should be
    replaced with 2004-07-22.

Since Gnus has its own change log file, and since most of the Gnus
changes come from that source, we can treat it as the baseline, and
leave its dates alone.  That would be less work.