* Re: [quarl@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu: [bug] python-mode, jit-lock, syntax-pss during file load]
       [not found] <E1Bc7pf-0007jE-2Q@fencepost.gnu.org>
@ 2004-06-29  1:09 ` Stefan
From: Stefan @ 2004-06-29  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> [I sent this message a week ago but did not get a response.]
> Would you please look at this?

I was away.

> (syntax-ppss) doesn't work correctly at file load when
> font-lock-support-mode is 'jit-lock-mode.

And in a few other situations as well, indeed.
It's not specific to syntax-ppss but to using jit-lock-mode (as well as
other support modes which delay the actual fontification, tho nowadays
I expect only jit-lock is relevant).

A "proper" answer is to have syntax-ppss call
font-lock-fontify-syntacitc-keywords if applicable (but since this in turn
might call syntax-ppss, we shoul do it carefully).

My own take on it was mentioned a few weeks ago: move the
font-lock-syntactic-keyword stuff to syntax.el (but not just by
moving code: redesign the functionality from scratch).

* Re: [quarl@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu: [bug] python-mode, jit-lock, syntax-pss during file load]
@ 2004-06-30  3:02   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-06-30  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    My own take on it was mentioned a few weeks ago: move the
    font-lock-syntactic-keyword stuff to syntax.el (but not just by
    moving code: redesign the functionality from scratch).

That might be the best solution ultimately, but
we should not do that now.
Can you work on a quicker, easier solution
for the sake of the release we are aiming for?