* Customize interface: better face editor
@ 2004-06-06 15:41 Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2004-06-06 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

The current face editor looks like this (in the -nw version, which
currently work better than the windowing version):

    Widget Button Face:(sample) [Hide]
       [State]: you have edited the value as text, but you have not set the fac
    Face used for widget buttons.
    Parent groups: [Widget Faces]
    Attributes: [ ] Font family: [Value Menu] *
                [ ] Width: [Value Menu] *
                [ ] Height: [Value Menu] *
                [X] Weight: [Value Menu] bold
                [ ] Slant: [Value Menu] *
                [ ] Underline: [Value Menu] *
                [ ] Overline: [Value Menu] *
                [ ] Strike-through: [Value Menu] *
                [ ] Box around text: [Value Menu] *
                [ ] Inverse-video: [Value Menu] *
                [ ] Foreground: [Value Menu] *
                [ ] Background: [Value Menu] *
                [ ] Stipple: [Value Menu] *
                [ ] Inherit:
                    [INS]

I wonder if it would look better as:

    Widget Button Face: (sample) [Hide]
       [State]: you have edited the value as text, but you have not set the fac
    Face used for widget buttons.
    Parent groups: [Widget Faces]
    Inherit attributes from these faces:
    [INS]
    Attributes of this face:
    [DEL] Weight: [Value Menu] bold
    [Add attribute]

Pressing "Add attribute" would pop-up a list of attributes.  If you
selected e.g. "Foreground" from that list, the display would change
to:

    Widget Button Face: (sample) [Hide]
       [State]: you have edited the value as text, but you have not set the fac
    Face used for widget buttons.
    Parent groups: [Widget Faces]
    Inherit attributes from these faces:
    [INS]
    Attributes of this face:
    [DEL] Weight: [Value Menu] bold
    [DEL] Foreground: black
    [Add attribute]

or

    Widget Button Face: (sample) [Hide]
       [State]: you have edited the value as text, but you have not set the fac
    Face used for widget buttons.
    Parent groups: [Widget Faces]
    Inherit attributes from these faces:
    [INS]
    Attributes of this face:
    [DEL] Weight: [Value Menu] bold
    [DEL] Foreground: [Value Menu] *
    [Add attribute]

depending on whether we really need to be able to explicitly set the
"*" attribute value.

To implement this, we would need a new widget which was a mix between
the editable-list and the checklist widgets.  Or said in another way,
the new widget would be a compact form of the checklist widget, the
same way the menu-choice widget is a compact form of the
radio-button-choice widget.

* Re: Customize interface: better face editor
@ 2004-06-06 22:21 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-06-06 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:
> The current face editor looks like this (in the -nw version, which
> currently work better than the windowing version):
> I wonder if it would look better as:
>
>     Widget Button Face: (sample) [Hide]
>        [State]: you have edited the value as text, but you have not set the fac
>     Face used for widget buttons.
>     Parent groups: [Widget Faces]
>     Inherit attributes from these faces:
>     [INS]
>     Attributes of this face:
>     [DEL] Weight: [Value Menu] bold
>     [Add attribute]

This feels too heavy-weight; the current face editor -- and as I noted
in a previous post, you seem to be using an extremely out-of-date
version in your examples -- has the big advantage that everything's
presented up-front.

The current style gives you a good overview of the `possibilities' for a
face, which I think makes face editing easier; there aren't all that
many attributes, and the visual impact of unselected attributes is
pretty minor (much more so in the current version than in the version
you're using).

-Miles
--
Ich bin ein Virus. Mach' mit und kopiere mich in Deine .signature.

* Re: Customize interface: better face editor
@ 2004-06-07  7:11 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-06-07  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

	[INS]
	Attributes of this face:
	[DEL] Weight: [Value Menu] bold
	[Add attribute]

This would be less convenient and harder for beginners to understand.
I am not in favor of it.