* errors from M-x grep
@ 2004-04-12  3:51 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-04-12  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

I am getting this error reproducibly from running M-x grep.
It depends on lots of data in my mail files, but maybe
you can debug it from the contents of the *grep* buffer.
I included that below.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function nil)
  nil(("rms593" "~/inout/" 1) nil)
  funcall(nil ("rms593" "~/inout/" 1) nil)
  (compilation-compat-error-properties (funcall (quote nil) (list* ... default-directory ...) nil))
  eval((compilation-compat-error-properties (funcall (quote nil) (list* ... default-directory ...) nil)))
  font-lock-fontify-keywords-region(5830 5857 nil)
  font-lock-default-fontify-region(5830 5857 nil)
  font-lock-fontify-region(5830 5857)
  font-lock-after-change-function(5830 5857 0)
  insert-before-markers("Binary file rms593 matches\n")
  compilation-filter(#<process grep> "Binary file rms593 matches\n")

cd ~/inout/	# -*-grep-*-
Entering directory `~/inout/'
grep -nH -e rockproject@6xa.nl rms5*
rms554:9234:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms554:9235:To: "Robert J. Ebbeler" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms554:22072:To: "Robert J. Ebbeler" <rockproject@6xa.nl>,
rms554:22114:rockproject@6xa.nl )
rms554:32175:To: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>,
rms554:56512:To: "VROs United World Vision Festivals on Global Issues" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms556:223:To: "Robert J. Ebbeler" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms556:225:In-reply-to: <011101c3ef03$52f600e0$0301a8c0@f7c0e2> (rockproject@6xa.nl)
rms556:7056:From rockproject@6xa.nl  Tue Feb 10 08:49:46 2004
rms556:7057:Return-path: <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms556:7076:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms556:7140:Aan: "Robert J. Ebbeler" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms556:7314:href=3D"mailto:rockproject@6xa.nl"><FONT =
rms556:7315:size=3D2>rockproject@6xa.nl</FONT></A><FONT=20
rms556:8102:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals on Global Issues" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms556:8422:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms556:8611:title=3Drockproject@6xa.nl href=3D"mailto:rockproject@6xa.nl">VROs =
rms556:8715:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms556:8839:<rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms556:9155:&lt;</FONT><A href=3D"mailto:rockproject@6xa.nl"><FONT=20
rms556:9156:size=3D2>rockproject@6xa.nl</FONT></A><FONT size=3D2>&gt;</FONT></DIV>
rms556:9602:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms556:9682:Aan: "Robert J. Ebbeler" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms556:9856:href=3D"mailto:rockproject@6xa.nl"><FONT =
rms556:9857:size=3D2>rockproject@6xa.nl</FONT></A><FONT=20
rms558:24290:From rockproject@6xa.nl  Thu Feb 12 06:19:32 2004
rms558:24291:Return-path: <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms558:24310:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms558:24355:Aan: rockproject@6xa.nl=20
rms558:24382:title=3Drockproject@6xa.nl href=3D"mailto:rockproject@6xa.nl">VROs =
rms558:24402:<DIV><B>Aan:</B> <A title=3Drockproject@6xa.nl=20
rms558:24403:href=3D"mailto:rockproject@6xa.nl">rockproject@6xa.nl</A> </DIV>
rms558:31422:From rockproject@6xa.nl  Thu Feb 12 09:18:40 2004
rms558:31423:Return-path: <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms558:31442:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms558:31443:To: "Robert J. Ebbeler" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms559:105:To: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms559:107:In-reply-to: <018601c3efd4$74a0b420$0301a8c0@f7c0e2> (rockproject@6xa.nl)
rms559:62911:From rockproject@6xa.nl  Fri Feb 13 11:43:41 2004
rms559:62912:Return-path: <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms559:62931:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms559:62959:Aan: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms559:63022:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms559:63065:Aan: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms560:25174:From rockproject@6xa.nl  Sat Feb 14 10:36:45 2004
rms560:25175:Return-path: <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms560:25194:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms560:25255:Aan: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms560:25277:From rockproject@6xa.nl  Sat Feb 14 10:37:18 2004
rms560:25278:Return-path: <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms560:25301:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms560:25326:Aan: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms561:93316:To: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms561:93318:In-reply-to: <019c01c3efdc$17b83e60$0301a8c0@f7c0e2> (rockproject@6xa.nl)
rms563:11164:From rockproject@6xa.nl  Tue Feb 17 18:50:48 2004
rms563:11165:Return-path: <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms563:11184:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms563:11208:Aan: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms563:11325:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms563:11364:Aan: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms563:11453:From rockproject@6xa.nl  Tue Feb 17 18:51:51 2004
rms563:11454:Return-path: <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms563:11473:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms563:11501:Aan: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms563:11554:From rockproject@6xa.nl  Tue Feb 17 18:54:42 2004
rms563:11555:Return-path: <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms563:11578:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms563:11650:Aan: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms573:4667:From rockproject@6xa.nl  Tue Feb 24 08:23:48 2004
rms573:4668:Return-path: <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms573:4687:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms573:4729:Aan: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms587:2974:From rockproject@6xa.nl  Wed Mar  3 11:22:59 2004
rms587:2975:Return-path: <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms587:2994:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms587:11527:From rockproject@6xa.nl  Wed Mar  3 13:09:18 2004
rms587:11528:Return-path: <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms587:11547:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms587:11571:> > Aan: <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms589:5788:From rockproject@6xa.nl  Fri Mar  5 10:31:01 2004
rms589:5789:Return-path: <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms589:5808:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms589:5840:Aan: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms591:526:From rockproject@6xa.nl  Sun Mar  7 11:17:14 2004
rms591:527:Return-path: <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms591:546:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms591:570:Aan: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
Binary file rms593 matches
rms594:50153:To: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms594:50155:In-Reply-To: <00c601c3fad1$219aae40$0301a8c0@f7c0e2> (rockproject@6xa.nl)
rms595:13873:From rockproject@6xa.nl  Wed Mar 10 19:24:25 2004
rms595:13874:Return-path: <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms595:13897:From: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>
rms595:14003:Aan: "VROs United World Vision Festivals" <rockproject@6xa.nl>

Grep finished (matches found) at Sun Apr 11 15:46:11

It was colorized through the rms591:570 entry.

* Re: errors from M-x grep
@ 2004-04-12  4:36 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-04-12  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Daniel Pfeiffer, emacs-devel

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function nil)
>   nil(("rms593" "~/inout/" 1) nil)
>   funcall(nil ("rms593" "~/inout/" 1) nil)
>   (compilation-compat-error-properties (funcall (quote nil) (list* ... default-directory ...) nil))

Oops.  Should be fixed now.

* Re: errors from M-x grep
@ 2004-04-13 17:44   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-04-13 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: occitan, emacs-devel

Thanks.

* Re: errors from M-x grep
@ 2004-04-14  9:33   ` Andreas Büsching
From: Andreas Büsching @ 2004-04-14  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

When I saw the first posting to this thread I just hoped it will find a
solution for my problem with M-x grep, but it didn't.

I have a problem with the grep function that I can not solve with my
knowledge about lisp. To reproduce it I do the following steps.

- run emacs -q
- optionally open a file
- M-x grep

The result is the following error message:

execute-extended-command: Symbol's value as variable is void: grep-mode

I hope the following debug output does help

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable grep-mode)
   byte-code("Æ\bÇÈp‰\x11ÉÃ!ˆ\n‰\x13ÉÅ!ˆ\f‰\x15&\x06‡" [grep-mode grep-last-buffer
grep-hit-face compilation-error-face grep-regexp-alist
compilation-error-regexp-alist define-compilation-mode "Grep" "Sets
`grep-last-buffer' and `compilation-window-height'." make-local-variable] 8)
   (grep)
   eval((grep))
   eval-expression((grep))
   debugger-eval-expression((grep))

Can anyone help me?

crunchy

* Re: errors from M-x grep
@ 2004-04-14 15:58     ` peta
From: peta @ 2004-04-14 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

This happened to me when I hadn't updated my cvs emacs for quite a long
time and there had been changes to lisp/progmodes/grep.el.

Normally I `cd lisp; make recompile` before installing.  After I got the
error I tried `cd lisp; make compile` instead, and that fixed it, but I
have no idea if thats the best approach.  See INSTALL.CVS for other
possibilities.

--
Peter Whaite (http://whaite.ca)

* Re: errors from M-x grep
@ 2004-04-14 16:37     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-04-14 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> When I saw the first posting to this thread I just hoped it will find
> a solution for my problem with M-x grep, but it didn't.

Apply the usual rule: make distclean bootstrap.

* Re: errors from M-x grep
@ 2004-04-15 12:58       ` Andreas Büsching
From: Andreas Büsching @ 2004-04-15 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>When I saw the first posting to this thread I just hoped it will find
>>a solution for my problem with M-x grep, but it didn't.
>
> Apply the usual rule: make distclean bootstrap.

I've already had a little private discussion with Kim, who gave me tips
like that. What I've done now is the following:

- removed my complete working copy of emacs CVS
- checked out a fresh copy
- ./configure --prefix=/home/crunchy/platform/linuxpc/pkgs/emacs
   --with-gtk
- gmake bootstrap
- run emacs -q
- M-x grep

and the result was the same as before.

Any other suggestions? I really would like to get grep back working.

hoping for help

crunchy

* Re: errors from M-x grep
@ 2004-04-18 11:47         ` Harald Maier
From: Harald Maier @ 2004-04-18 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Andreas Büsching <crunchy@tzi.de> writes:

> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>>When I saw the first posting to this thread I just hoped it will find
>>>a solution for my problem with M-x grep, but it didn't.
>> Apply the usual rule: make distclean bootstrap.

> Any other suggestions? I really would like to get grep back working.

I too see this problem if I configure cvs-emacs with the --with-gtk
option. With the --with-x-toolkit=motif option 'grep' works fine.

Harald

* Re: errors from M-x grep
@ 2004-04-18 17:32           ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2004-04-18 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Andreas Büsching, emacs-devel

> Andreas Büsching <crunchy@tzi.de> writes:

>>> Apply the usual rule: make distclean bootstrap.
>
>> Any other suggestions? I really would like to get grep back working.
>
> I too see this problem if I configure cvs-emacs with the --with-gtk
> option. With the --with-x-toolkit=motif option 'grep' works fine.

Then you have not built the motif version with the same sources, or
they are
using different lisp files.  It is highly unlikely that lisp errors
depend
on the toolkit used.
I see the error with GTK, Motif, Lucid, no toolkit, no X and on Mac OSX
so it is a lisp problem.

If you remove the progmodes/grep.elc file in the installed lisp
directory,
things work OK.  There is obviously a problem with compiling grep.el,
but what is is I don't know.

	Jan D.

* Re: errors from M-x grep
@ 2004-04-18 19:58             ` Harald Maier
From: Harald Maier @ 2004-04-18 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Andreas Büsching, emacs-devel

"Jan D." <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

> I see the error with GTK, Motif, Lucid, no toolkit, no X and on Mac
> OSX so it is a lisp problem.
>
> If you remove the progmodes/grep.elc file in the installed lisp
> directory, things work OK.  There is obviously a problem with
> compiling grep.el, but what is is I don't know.

Yes, you are right. I removed the grep.elc file and then all seems to
work fine. Andreas, maybe this works for you too.

Harald

* Re: errors from M-x grep
@ 2004-04-18 21:05               ` Andreas Büsching
From: Andreas Büsching @ 2004-04-18 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Hi,

Harald Maier wrote:
> "Jan D." <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:
>>I see the error with GTK, Motif, Lucid, no toolkit, no X and on Mac
>>OSX so it is a lisp problem.
>>
>>If you remove the progmodes/grep.elc file in the installed lisp
>>directory, things work OK.  There is obviously a problem with
>>compiling grep.el, but what is is I don't know.
>

> Yes, you are right. I removed the grep.elc file and then all seems to
> work fine. Andreas, maybe this works for you too.

I already found a way to get it working again, but I don't know the
exact reasons for that. I just made a complete new installation.
Removing the grep.elc file was not my solution, because I still have
this file.

crunchy