* Suggestion: Make snapshots of Emacs available
@ 2003-07-18 14:00 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2003-07-18 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw

I've noticed that the GDB developers make a daily snapshot of their current
CVS source available on the internet.

See ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gdb/snapshots/current/

I realise that RedHat may have more bandwidth resources that the FSF and that
its probably most efficient to use CVS directly. However, one advantage of
doing this would be that a copy of what's in the CVS repository becomes
available to Emacs users who are behind company firewalls. Currently, some of
those people download existing releases and may report bugs to
bug-gnu-emacs. If snapshots were made available, some might download these and
provide more extensive pretesting prior to release which they could report to
emacs-pretest-bug. It might also relieve some of the frustration among Emacs
developers arising from the long time between non-bugfix releases.

I therefore suggest that a daily, weekly or monthly snapshot of Emacs be put on
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs

Nick

* Re: Suggestion: Make snapshots of Emacs available
@ 2003-07-18 15:16 ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2003-07-18 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

   I therefore suggest that a daily, weekly or monthly snapshot of
   Emacs be put on ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs

alpha.gnu.org is a better place since these are not stable releases.

* Re: Suggestion: Make snapshots of Emacs available
@ 2003-07-19 18:26 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-07-19 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

    I realise that RedHat may have more bandwidth resources that the FSF and that
    its probably most efficient to use CVS directly. However, one advantage of
    doing this would be that a copy of what's in the CVS repository becomes
    available to Emacs users who are behind company firewalls.

If someone wants to do it, I don't mind.  I don't have any time
to spend thinking about it.

       I therefore suggest that a daily, weekly or monthly snapshot of
       Emacs be put on ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs

    alpha.gnu.org is a better place since these are not stable releases.

That's correct.

* Re: Suggestion: Make snapshots of Emacs available
@ 2003-07-21 20:51   ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2003-07-21 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

 >     I realise that RedHat may have more bandwidth resources that the FSF
 >     and that its probably most efficient to use CVS directly. However, one
 >     advantage of doing this would be that a copy of what's in the CVS
 >     repository becomes available to Emacs users who are behind company
 >     firewalls.
 >
 > If someone wants to do it, I don't mind.  I don't have any time
 > to spend thinking about it.

I presume that its an automated process (a cron job?) on sources.redhat.com.
Can the savannah hackers set up something like this? I'm guessing that
savannah.gnu.org, ftp.gnu.org and alpha.gnu.org sit next to each other
somewhere in Boston and might even share the same disk space. However, if
no-one wants to to do it, then I will, as a last resort. I guess I would need
a shell account, and it would have to wait till I have a broadband connection.

 >        I therefore suggest that a daily, weekly or monthly snapshot of
 >        Emacs be put on ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs
 >
 >     alpha.gnu.org is a better place since these are not stable releases.
 >
 > That's correct.

alpha.gnu.org might be the correct place (Just as info-gnu-emacs, which no-one
reads, is the correct place to announce new releases.) but I'm not sure its
the best place.  Few people know about. Neither the Emacs homepage or the
project page on Savannah mention it. I imagine far more people download from
ftp.gnu.org or one of its mirrors.

@ 2003-07-23  7:14     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-07-23  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

    alpha.gnu.org might be the correct place (Just as info-gnu-emacs, which no-one
    reads, is the correct place to announce new releases.)

Why do you think no one reads info-gnu-emacs?

    Few people know about. Neither the Emacs homepage or the
    project page on Savannah mention it.

There is currently no reason for them to mention it, since we are not
using it for Emacs except for occasional pretests.  If we start using
it more, we will of course mention it there.

* Re: Suggestion: Make snapshots of Emacs available
@ 2003-07-23 10:20     ` Danilo Segan
From: Danilo Segan @ 2003-07-23 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw

On Monday, July 21 2003, 22:51:08 CEST -- Nick Roberts wrote:

> Can the savannah hackers set up something like this? I'm guessing
> that savannah.gnu.org, ftp.gnu.org and alpha.gnu.org sit next to each
> other somewhere in Boston and might even share the same disk space.
> However, if no-one wants to to do it, then I will, as a last resort.
> I guess I would need a shell account, and it would have to wait till
> I have a broadband connection.

AFAIK, there are already daily snapshots of GNU Mach, MiG, Hurd, and
other GNU tools at ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/cvs/. Perhaps Emacs could go
there as well (well, it seems reasonable to me).

And because CVS for at least Mach and Hurd is hosted at Savannah, I
believe the infrastructure to do this is already there.

Cheers,
Danilo

* Re: Suggestion: Make snapshots of Emacs available
@ 2003-07-24 19:58       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-07-24 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

    AFAIK, there are already daily snapshots of GNU Mach, MiG, Hurd, and
    other GNU tools at ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/cvs/. Perhaps Emacs could go
    there as well (well, it seems reasonable to me).

I will ask the Savannah hackers to do this.  Thanks.