* NEWS worthy?
@ 2003-03-06 23:18 Unknown
From: Unknown @ 2003-03-06 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

just added minimal font-lock support for dcl-mode.
to me this is not NEWS worthy, but i seek pov of others.

thi

* Re: NEWS worthy?
@ 2003-03-07  2:47 ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2003-03-07  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@dream> wrote:

> just added minimal font-lock support for dcl-mode.
> to me this is not NEWS worthy, but i seek pov of others.

I think this is newsworthy.  A similar addition to prolog-mode was:

"** Prolog mode has a new variable `prolog-font-lock-keywords'
to support use of font-lock."

* Re: NEWS worthy?
@ 2003-03-07  9:01   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2003-03-07  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   From: John Paul Wallington <jpw@gnu.org>
   Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 02:47:05 +0000

   "** Prolog mode has a new variable `prolog-font-lock-keywords'
   to support use of font-lock."

ok, will do likewise for dcl-mode.

thi

* Re: NEWS worthy?
@ 2003-03-07 19:41 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-03-07 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    just added minimal font-lock support for dcl-mode.
    to me this is not NEWS worthy, but i seek pov of others.

There is no need to put this in NEWS, because users will
get the benefit of it without having to know about it.

* Re: NEWS worthy?
@ 2003-03-08  2:17   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2003-03-08  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
   Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 14:41:58 -0500

       [font-lock support for dcl-mode]

   There is no need to put this in NEWS, because users will
   get the benefit of it without having to know about it.

ok, thanks for the clarification on NEWS worthy criteria.
i've removed the blurb, but am leaving in the prolog blurb
since that has already been processed (if someone deletes
it at some point, no worries).

thi

* Re: NEWS worthy?
@ 2003-03-08  6:01     ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2003-03-08  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@glug.org> writes:

>    From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>

I don't know what dcl mode stands for.

>    There is no need to put this in NEWS, because users will
>    get the benefit of it without having to know about it.

Not necessarily.  Maybe, the user has written himself a .dcl mode which
is rather limited.  Such a user most probably is interested in the NEWS
of an official dcl mode -- but he will never see it, because he
something as follows in .emacs (like me):

(setq auto-mode-alist
      (append
       (list
	'("\\.dcl$" . dtd-mode)
	'("\\.mod$" . dtd-mode))
       auto-mode-alist))

> i've removed the blurb, but am leaving in the prolog blurb
> since that has already been processed (if someone deletes
> it at some point, no worries).

I think does does not hurt to leave it stay.

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |      ,__o

* Re: NEWS worthy?
@ 2003-03-08 10:09       ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2003-03-08 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   From: Karl Eichwalder <keichwa@gmx.net>
   Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 07:01:43 +0100

   I don't know what dcl mode stands for.

DIGITAL (RIP) command language, standard scripting offering under vms.
personal [gt]ripe: at one point i considered myself a budding dcl hacker,
but then a kind soul (at DEC no less) turned me onto emacs, after which
dcl lost its charm due to lack of dcl support in emacs (at the time).
even now, i see the global string font-locking mechanism mishandles
dcl's peculiar (IMHO) quoting conventions; dcl syntax is both over-
and under-permissive in all the wrong places....

   >    There is no need to put this in NEWS, because users will
   >    get the benefit of it without having to know about it.

   Not necessarily.  Maybe, the user has written himself a .dcl mode which
   is rather limited.  Such a user most probably is interested in the NEWS
   of an official dcl mode -- but he will never see it, because he
   something as follows in .emacs (like me):

   (setq auto-mode-alist
	 (append
	  (list
	   '("\\.dcl$" . dtd-mode)
	   '("\\.mod$" . dtd-mode))
	  auto-mode-alist))

the change in question is a minor improvement on the extant dcl-mode,
and so the associated NEWS (had it been worthy) would report this.
reporting existince of dcl-mode happened already w/ emacs 20.1 release.
if a user doesn't read the NEWS that cannot be helped, generally.

thi