* Re: lib-src/Makefile.in gets circular dependency due to VPATH
       [not found] ` <1043395294.12479.5.camel@leeloo>
@ 2003-01-25 19:23   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-01-25 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Tim Van Holder

The use of VPATH in lib-src/Makefile.in is causing trouble: apparently
it causes the rules

    rcs2log: $(srcdir)/rcs2log

and so on to give an error message about "circular dependency",
and they fail to do their job.  The only simple fix anyone
has seen thus far is to delete the setting of VPATH.

Does anyone know if there is a real reason to use VPATH?  We try to
specify $(srcdir) explicitly for all the files that are in that
directory.  Perhaps it is missing in a few places, and if so, we could
add it where it is needed.

Can anyone find another fix that isn't too difficult?

The reason I added those rules is because an uninstalled Emacs
tries to run those scripts from under $(bindir).

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-01-25 19:23 UTC | newest]